Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 810
Registered: ‎03-29-2015

Re: Worst Book Ever Read

Anything written by Joyce Carol Oates.  I rather hit myself over the head with a mallet.

25/45
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎10-29-2015

Re: Worst Book Ever Read

Some of you will have distain for me but...I hated the "Great Gatsby".  It was so boring and trifiling (is that a word?).  Every person in the book was boring, boring, boring.

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,601
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Worst Book Ever Read


@Deblife wrote:

Some of you will have distain for me but...I hated the "Great Gatsby".  It was so boring and trifiling (is that a word?).  Every person in the book was boring, boring, boring.

 


I liked The Great Gatsby. but don't hold anything against people who dislike it.  Different tastes....

 

I discovered another book I couldn't finish: Middlemarch by George Eliot. That book was incredibly boring to me. It had none of the charm Jane Austen's books have, and would be a good cure for insomnia.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,562
Registered: ‎02-20-2016

Re: Worst Book Ever Read

The worst book I have ever read is The English Patient. 

 

Every page was sheer torture.

 

At the time, i prided myself on always finishing a book, even if it seemed to be killing me. (Years later, I finally got over that.)

 

I would never ever recommend this miserable book to anyone; I did not see the movie.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,040
Registered: ‎05-19-2010

Re: Worst Book Ever Read

@teganslaw  I didn't read Dreamcatcher, but I saw the movie and it was terrible. The movie cast some good actors - Morgan Freeman, Damian Lewis, Timothy Olyphant, Tom Sizemore and Jason Lee. Even with all that talent it was just a bad, bad movie.

 

The book helped the author recuperate from a 1999 car accident, and was completed in half a year.


In 2014, King told Rolling Stone that "I don't like Dreamcatcher very much," and stated that the book was written under the influence of Oxycontin.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,601
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Worst Book Ever Read


@lmt wrote:

@teganslaw  I didn't read Dreamcatcher, but I saw the movie and it was terrible. The movie cast some good actors - Morgan Freeman, Damian Lewis, Timothy Olyphant, Tom Sizemore and Jason Lee. Even with all that talent it was just a bad, bad movie.

 

The book helped the author recuperate from a 1999 car accident, and was completed in half a year.


In 2014, King told Rolling Stone that "I don't like Dreamcatcher very much," and stated that the book was written under the influence of Oxycontin.


I didn't know that Dreamcatcher was made into a movie. They shouldn't have wasted time and money doing it. 

 

I remember reading about Stephen King's accident. Makes sense that the book was written under the influence of Qxycontin; it was that bad. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,409
Registered: ‎12-22-2013

Re: Worst Book Ever Read


@insomniac2 wrote:

The worst book I have ever read is The English Patient. 

 

Every page was sheer torture.

 

At the time, i prided myself on always finishing a book, even if it seemed to be killing me. (Years later, I finally got over that.)

 

I would never ever recommend this miserable book to anyone; I did not see the movie.


Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode satirizing The English Patient.

 

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 85
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Worst Book Ever Read

Most movies based on Stephen King's books are ******.  A few exceptions, of course:

 

Carrie, It, Misery, The Shining

 

I agree with another poster's take on The Outsider.  That's about 15 hours of my life I can't get back.

 

The only time I'll try to read a book that I don't like, is if it's a book club 'assignment'.  The whole idea of a book club is to read stuff you normally wouldn't, right?  So I do my best to get through those.  

 

A couple of the worst books I've read lately are Milkman (Anna  Burns; writing style was odd.  I know WHY it was written this way, but it was still odd); The Buried Giant (Kazuo Ishiguro; one of the few book club assignments I just couldn't get through).

 

Favorites include Born A Crime (Trevor Noah; I listened to this book, as I always do, and he narrates it, so listening to his South African accent for a few hours did NOT hurt my feelings); The Underground Railroad (Colson Whitehead), Circe (Madeline Miller); Becoming (Michelle Obama); A Higher Loyalty (James Comey); Bad Blood (John Carreyrou.  I live in Silicon Valley, so it was fascinating reading about this scandal that was practically in my back yard.)

 

Happy reading everyone!  I can't think of many things that are more pleasurable than losing myself in a good book.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,256
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Worst Book Ever Read

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

This topic was inspired by @travone  reply in another threead:

 

This is off topic, but I thought I'd share.  We always talk about the books we reccommend.  Our library is hosting a group this month and the topic is what was the worst book you ever read.   I can't wait to see the differences of opinion and the discussions that come out of it.  I'm sure there are many books that some think are the worst ever and others loved.

 

I read that and immediately flashed on a book I had to read for a English class in college (English Major).  

 

Piers Plowman ... written (in MIddle English) by William Langland in the 14th century.

 

I'm sitting here laughing to myself!  I went to Amazon thinking that maybe I should revisit the book and read it again ... I might actually enjoy reading it now years later.  After "looking inside" ... nope.  Not going to do it!


@ALRATIBA- OMG you just got me thinking of Canterbury Tales in olde English. I had to read it either in high school or college. I had to use Cliff Notes or I would have failed for sure, and even with the help I did lousy (yes I'm hanging my head in shame).

 

Oh, PS the book may have been Beowulf that made me crazy. I can't remember which book it was that caused me to buy Cliff Notes.

 

Thank goodness I'll never have to read a book like that again!!

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed.



Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,423
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

Re: Worst Book Ever Read

English major here. I plowed through many books including Canterbury Tales. The one I couldn't get through was Dickens "Our Mutual Friend." What kind of sadist assigns that? I still won't read Dickens but I like all the Masterpiece Theatre presentations.