Esteemed Contributor

Before I re-discovered the Library, and let's face it. When the books are free there is no reason to read a book that you don't like.  I use to purchase a ton of books. Till this day the book that stands out to me for being just stupid, and actually made me stop reading the author who use to be one of my favorites was Tommy Knockers, by Stephen King. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never finished reading Stephen King's book Dreamcatcher.It was bad; the only reason it got published, IMO, is because of who the author is.

Another book I didn't like is The Sun Also Rises. I know it's a classic about the "lost generation" , but the book didn't work for me. Zelda Fitzgerald's quote comes to mind: "It's about bullfighing, bullslinging, and bull##. "

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Worst Book Ever Read

[ Edited ]

If a book doesn't catch me by 100 pages, I stop reading it......I have way too many books to read than to waste time with one that doesn't grab me......I would have to check at home to find a few that I did end up reading that I absolutely didn't like.......

Frequent Contributor

I agreed with several on your lists, but "Three Junes" was one of my all time favs, a huge best seller, and a prize winner.  My very diverse book club loved it, too.  And, as they say, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure there were others long ago but I recently read The Outsiders by Stephen King and it was horrible.   I still can't believe I finished it.

#2 would be The Reckoning by John Grisham and I love his books.  Not this one!!

Honored Contributor

I'm just glad none of mine have made this list. (At least so far.) My worst book ever read was a Michael Crichton book. I don't even remember the title now, but it was dreadful. It read like it had been written by ten different people then cobbled together. I typically never throw a book away, but that one found the trash. I just couldn't believe how bad it was.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor
  1. I loved The Last of the Mohicans movie so much that I thought it would be great to read th original James Fenimore  Cooper novel.  To my surprise, it was really boring, tedious and unreadable. Keep in mind, young boys had been reading this book for generations! I'm really patient with slow starters, and will usually hang on to the end, but not this time. Fortunately, I can watch Daniel Day-Lewis in his prime whenever I want!
Respected Contributor

Fifty Shades of Grey/Gray!  I bought it after reading a Kindle preview and I don't mind an occasional adult  topic.  OMG!  I actually felt brain cells dying after a few pages!   DD, also purchased it thinking it would be an interesting adult story.  Her reaction was the same as mine.  

How did this stupid thing generate additional books?   

Respected Contributor

@bachspal 

Totally agree about both the book and the movie!  Yes, DDL in his prime ---WOW!  The scenery in the movie is fabulous, filmed in NC mountains which are about 3 hours away from me!   The music is wonderful and won the Academy Award. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
The first books to spring to mind are the 50 Shades trilogy. Extremely amateurish writing that felt like the author googled everything. And I’m not even talking about the naughty subject matter (although that too.) I literally mean everything. The first book at least had the redeeming quality of having some unintentionally funny dialogue.

Why read all three then? Because I follow the trends. But every time I saw someone write it was the “best book they ever read”, I wanted to scream that they need to read more books!!

@Alter Ego  I bought the trilogy and didn't get past...I think it was...page 21 of the first book.  Sold the whole thing on ebay.  The movies on the other hand....Woman Happy

The worst book I ever read...I don't remember the title.  I DO remember I bought it in a thrift store and left it in the trash at O'Hare Airport.

Keepin' it real.