Honored Contributor

Re: With some trepidation...

@spumoni99 wrote:

I love biographies, can you say the name or will that give it away?  I think I know who you are referring to but not positive.  If its who I think it is presidents now have done much worse and it seems to be not a big deal.

Exactly!  You put it much more discretely than I could have but what the president the OP is referring to did is nothing compared to what's going on now.

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  He really was spotted a lot and was very popular. He had mellowed out. It was evident to see.

He lived in Saddle River New Jersey. Very nice area.

@Queen of shop  Yes, he did live in SR, but later on moved to Park Ridge which is where ones in my neighborhood spoke with him and where he passed away. The whole area liked him and was sad when he was gone.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten I'd like to read it also.  I think I know who the President is, but could you provide the intials of the author? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

How about telling us the title of the book or a clue or at least the author?  

There are many bios about him.

Valued Contributor

I saw a show on Cable (I have Fire stick) a film Elvis and N****.  I really loved it.  It is funny, mostly about Elvis, but Kevin Spacey plays the President and It is very funny.  His brother lived and died in the Seattle area, and visited a club I belong to.  Very interesting family.

Trusted Contributor

He was indeed a  compiicated whose life 1966 and his resignation were rife with nefarious deeds, conversations, and beliefs.  Listen to his tapes and the comments of some of those who served him.  He has been re-evaluated by some historians and others who note his writings and status as an elder statesman by others.  A good historian will analyze all aspects of his life and allow the reader to draw her own conclusions. Biographies that interest me our the Adamses, and FDR for those prior to 1970.  I prefer to read the papers of president, e.g. Jefferson.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

...I'm going to say that I'm reading a biography of...a recent president who didn't complete his term of office. I won't mention who it was because I don't want to see this degenerate into arguing.

I've always found him to be a fascinating person and he overcame so much in a very difficult life. He had a terrible childhood--2 of his siblings died of tuberculosis--and awful parents. His personality was completely unsuited for the rough-and-tumble of politics and he shoud never have taken up that line of work.

You should read the sweet, beautiful love letters he wrote to this wife early in their marriage when he was serving in the navy during WWII. It's such a tragedy that this sensitive personality became so corroded by political life; he could have been a great president if his underlings and his instincts hadn't brought out the worst in him.

@GoneButNotForgotten   Is the author Conrad Black?  If not, who wrote the book that you read? Thanks in advance.

Respected Contributor

The biography of Richard Nixon I'm reading is titled Richard Nixon The Life and the author is John A. Farrell

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

If it's who I think it is, he was very popular in the area he came to towards the end. Many would see him getting take out pizza or in some of the stores. Very friendly towards all.

Who are you talking about? Somehow I just can't picture Rochard Nixon getting take-out pizza. Eating it, yes; picking it up and taking it out, not so much ;---)

Respected Contributor

He may have been devoted to his wife but it has been rumored--by people who knew the couple--that he roughed Pat up from time to time.