Valued Contributor

Re: What are you Reading? MAY 2017

I am reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins, who also wrote The Girl on the Train.

For those of you who include the book cover in your posts, the cover is the first element I consider when choosing a book. Sometimes the cover will overshadow a weal response to the summary.

Honored Contributor

Just started THE WIDOW, By Fiona Barton, it is a thriller/mystery. It had very good reviews on Goodreads. com....

Honored Contributor

November 9, by Coleen Hoover;

The General's Women, by Susan Wittig Albert

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 - so glad you are enjoying the "Saturday" Frieda Klein book.  Here is some information about the "Sunday" book:  The newest book, published in the UK, was a paperback edition called "SUNDAY MORNING COMING DOWN," which came out on April 13th.  A hardback edition of the same book is coming out in the UK on July 13th.  This seems rather backwards to us, but maybe the UK tests the waters first with a paperback edition then prints a hardback edition if it's popular?  No idea.  There are some used copies of the UK paperback on sale at Amazon, starting at $11.54 plus $3.99 shipping.

Meanwhile in the US, the "Saturday" book will not come out until July 11th and the "Sunday" book, which will be re-named "SUNDAY SILENCE," won't come out here until January 9, 2018.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the welcome, sunala!!!  I love to read other people's' review of books!!!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the warm message, Carebears!!!

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover  Thanks for the information on the Sunday book  It is strange about the paperback coming out first.  I normally don't read paperbacks (print is too small for my old eyes) but I might make an exception for this.

Honored Contributor

Welcome, @CraftyTJ1!  Any friend of @CareBears is a friend of mine.  She can fill you in IRL!

@abbalulu, that interview with Backman was so generic I'm not convinced they even spoke to Backman.  The only information that was itneresting is that "Beartown" started as a tv series that didn't get picked up, and I'm reading it now and that makes sense.

CareBears and everyone else interested in "Beartown", I have an update:

Amazon has placed it in the wrong category.  It is not satire.  It is a very serious and sad book.  At around 415 pages it is slow but methodical, sad, at times dreary.  I'm at around 250 pages and I'm invested in the town and the story, but it took a long time to get there and it's still slow going

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori I just started it yesterday and I am on page 301, yes it is a very sad story, but these incidents (lack of a better word not to give too much away) happen in every day life, and stories such as these play out very similiar in every day lives.

IMO, Fredrik Backman is a genius at devloping the characters who make up this story, he draws the reader into this small town where a tragic event will change the lives of everyone in town, and it is how the town reacts to this event that will either destroy the town or destroy families that have lived in the town their whole lives.

As always Fredrik Backman has blown me away with this story, he ingrains in our minds and hearts what is morally right vs what is morally wrong, making each of us  look inside our own selves and also into the minds and hearts of others.  He shows what it means to stand united or alone so that others may live in harmony or spend their lives regretting one moment in time.

When I finish I will post my final review, but this is a book I definitely will be reading again at some point just as all of his books have made me look deep inside myself to grow as a person,

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the nice welcome.

i just finished "Beartown" and loved it.  I enjoyed getting to know the characters of the town and why they do the things they do.  It held my attention the whole time as I was getting the feel of the town.

Take care, TJ