Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are You Reading? May 2019

@teganslaw , I tried to read Alafair Burke several years ago and gave up.  Her father is James Lee Burke who I love,  He writes a detective series set in Louisiana bayou country that is very good.  I have read everything he wrote.  If you haven’t read him, check him out.

He has won a couple of Edgar Awards for crime writing and some of his books were made into movies.

i just read that Alafair, who is his adopted daughter I believe, was an assistant district attorney, law professor and author.  Maybe I should try her again.  She has written 12 books.  LM

Respected Contributor

Laura14, I'm glad to hear your positive comments on the new Kate Mulgrew memoir (and you're right about the rather tepid first one).

Esteemed Contributor

I tried  readingJames Lee Burke's Sunset Limited and couldn't get into it. the descriptions were good, but couldn't get interested in the characters. The book was #10 in the David Robiceaux series. Maybe his books have to read in order to be fully appreciated?

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I just finished A Deadly Feast (Key West Food Critic Mysteries) by Lucy Burdette.  This is an excellent series and includes recipes in the back of the book.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I finished listening to The Satapur Moonstone by Sujata Massey, the 2nd in the Perveen Mistry mysteries. I personally enjoyed it more than the first as it wasn’t weighed down with her marriage backstory.  It also primarily took place in a jungle and, full disclosure, jungles and rainforests are some of my happy places. I have no doubt that everyone will figure out the villain before the reveal, but it was more about the descriptions and learning about life in 1920’s India for me.

I was a little taken aback as the narrator changed from the 1st book, so it did take me a bit to get used to the new voice.

Because of all of the posts, I’m also reading My Lovely Wife on my Kindle.  Sometimes it just takes too long on Audible and I wanted to see what the big deal was!!  LOL I should be done tomorrow or Monday. 😊

Honored Contributor

I'm enjoying Susan Mallery's, When We Found Home.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Frequent Contributor

Well I was almost finished THE MOTHER IN LAW but the library returned the ebook 10 days early. The librarian is trying to figure out what happened. 

I am now starting MISTRESS OF THE RITZ by Melanie Benjamin. 

Contributor

With my love of History I’m starting “American Duchess” by Karen Harper. Anyone read it? Hope it’s good! I’m in need of a good book.
Trusted Contributor

"SKIN" by Patrick Logan.

COME!!  COOOME!! COOOOOOOOOOME!!!!

It's calling out to you.

If you like creepy and gruesome, this is the book for you

I loved it!

Just hope I don't have nightmares tonight.

Trusted Contributor

I picked up two new books at the library yesterday:

"BLESSING IN DISGUISE" by Danielle Steel (a single mom raises 3 daughters from 3 different men)

"SUCH A PERFECT WIFE" by Kate White (the latest in her Bailey Weggins mystery series)