Respected Contributor

Re: What FICTION Author Influenced You The Most?

I know that other members of Benson's family wrote, but I haven't checked on any of it.

I'm going to have to do that!

Honored Contributor

Jan Karon and Karen Kingsbury for the only thing that matters is faith and family.  The rest is just unnecessary worry and window dressing.

Joan Meldicott teaching me that aging to an "older woman" is quite a beautiful journey and something to look forward to daily.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Truman Capote.

I read and saw Breakfast at Tiffany's when I was about 15.  I decided right then that I didn't want to be like everyone else.   I wanted to be quirky and different like Holly.   I don't know how successful I was but that was my goal because of his book.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several Influences:  Sinclair Lewis,  Fyodor Dostoevsky, Thomas Mann, John Cheever and Saul Bellow. 

ETA:  Throwing in a bit of self-admitted nonsense here, but as a child of the '60s, I've been aware of birthdates and sun signs for decades.  After I made my list above, I thought I remembered that Mann and Bellow were both Geminis.  I had a faint memory that Cheever one was as well, but I had no idea about Dostoevsky or Lewis.  Of course I checked out everyone's birthdate after this notion of loving Gemini writers took hold of me.

Well, three are Geminis.   Dostoevsky is a Scorpio and Lewis is an Aquarius.  I concede that the purported communication skills of Geminis come through to me in an effective manner (at least with these literary lions).  

(Forgot Lewis -- sorry.)

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I would have to say Stephen King, although I have not read any of his books in many years, I believe him to be a highly underrated author. I have always been an avid reader, but around Junior high, I read one of his books and could not get enough of him or the Genre. 

Funny thing how our taste change. I have no interest in those types of books anymore. 

Honored Contributor

Had a great literature teacher in HS. Doubt I would have read Dickens, Twain, Wright, Williams, Capote .... had I not taken her class.

Esteemed Contributor

John Steinbeck, top of the heap.

Honored Contributor

Dr. Suess. An elephant's faithful 100%

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Valued Contributor

F. Scott Fitzgerald I can still see Gatsby gazing out to see the green light on Daisy"s dock.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

Truman Capote.

I read and saw Breakfast at Tiffany's when I was about 15.  I decided right then that I didn't want to be like everyone else.   I wanted to be quirky and different like Holly.   I don't know how successful I was but that was my goal because of his book.

I loved that book too and I know you would enjoy the book "Fifth Avenue,5 A.M. Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman" by Sam Wasson. A great fun read and a "must read" if a fan of the movie.