Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading? January 2019 Happy New Year!

This week I was able to finish Pray for silence by Linda Castillo, and Immortal in death by J.D. Robb. 

I am currently reading Run for your Life by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

I'm reading The Innocent Man after watching the Netflix documentary based upon John Grisham's only non fiction book by the same name.   I thought I'd read it when it came out but now I'm not sure.  I have all of his books so I'm giving it another read.    Both the book and documentary are soooooo heartbreaking and infuriating but I'm going to finish it.

@Bridgegal I saw the documentary. Let me know about the book. 

I will.  I'm almost finished.  It is organized very differently from the documentary.   I'll let you know more after I finish it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone for some ideas and reviews on what you are reading! 

Presently, I'm working on;

Warlock by Wilbur Smith (Ancient Egypt #3) &

Private by James Patterson #1 of a long series

I received Becoming by Michelle O for Christmas, have to get started there and I will also shortly get into Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne about the woman who will be the new Empress (Consort) on May 1. That should come via Amazon this week.

I would like to read Song of Achilles that a few of you have mentioned. This year I also want to get New Way of Seeing: The History of Art in 57 Works. It explains all the symbolism in 57 famous works so that you can better appreciate the 'greats'. My understanding is that it is meant for the masses, not the student of art.

Happy New Year & Three Kings Day this weekend!

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley, by M.C Beaton.

Wheels Up by Annabeth Albert.  I like that series.  It's about the lives and loves of some SEALS stationed in San Diego who are gay.  Caution:  it can be graffic.  

Super Contributor

@appmJames Rollins has been on my TBR for years.  I think this might be the year I start reading.  So many books!  I'm wishing I had multiple lives.Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I am reading the first books in two very different older mystery series that were recommended to me by friends.  One is "Crewel World" by Monica Ferris (woman takes over her murdered sister's needlecraft shop), and the other is "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael, a medieval monk, solves mysteries).  So far, so good.

I have also resolved to re-read a lot of the books on my groaning bookshelves and see if they are "shelf-worthy" or if I should donate them to our local library sales.  I need more room for new books!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Color Tour (Ray Elkins Thriller Series) by Aaron Stander.  This series is good, based in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  There is a frequent reference to Zingerman's, one of my favorite places on earth!

I am now starting the third book in the series, Deer Season.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley, by M.C Beaton.

Wheels Up by Annabeth Albert.  I like that series.  It's about the lives and loves of some SEALS stationed in San Diego who are gay.  Caution:  it can be graffic.  

@kitty45 Curiously, I was friends with a Navy guy up in SF who was gay. He told me that tons of the SEALS actually are gay. Apparently, their real life is pretty 'graphic' too😏.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

THE OTHER WIFE  Michael Robotham

PERFECT FAMILY  Pam Lewis

HOW TO WALK AWAY  Katherine Center

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kjelle  I'm going to try to get New Way Of Seeing: The History of Art in 57 Works.  It sounds really interesting, especially if it's meant for the masses (that would be me).  Hope my library has it.

Also, is Three Kings Day the same as Epiphany?  I've never heard it called that.