Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

Jud, I think you would enjoy "The Sea House" too.  Seems like it has a few qualities you look for in a book, and it's just so good. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

Jud, I think you would enjoy "The Sea House" too.  Seems like it has a few qualities you look for in a book, and it's just so good. 

Sounds intriguing,lori. My list is on overload now, but maybe after I 'clear my desk' I'll give it a look see. Thanks for the tip. Love those Scottish based books. You wouldn't believe the title of the one I'm reading now but I'm going to tell you anyway: Off Kilter. Then on the cover it says, 'someone's been kilt!' Hahahaha. It just got me and I grabbed it at the library just as my something to read between holds. It's a little too cozy for me, but hey, at least it's Scotland.

Honored Contributor

That's adorable, Jud.  I'd be very surprised if you didn't love "The Sea House."

That book you recommended, "The Outsmarting of Criminals", I keep watching it to see if/when it comes out in paperback because it's a pricey for a cozy.  But so far nope, it's still only in hardcover.  

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

That's adorable, Jud.  I'd be very surprised if you didn't love "The Sea House."

That book you recommended, "The Outsmarting of Criminals", I keep watching it to see if/when it comes out in paperback because it's a pricey for a cozy.  But so far nope, it's still only in hardcover.  

Don't pay for it lori. It was cute and I liked it but it's not worth buying. If it comes to the library or in paperback, then OK, but I would never buy it. 

Valued Contributor

I am reading The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny. It's the latest in the Inspector Gamache mysteries.  Retired in the village of Three Pines, Gamache, his  former colleagues, and neighbors try to solve the mystery of a colossal "gun," discovered near the village.

Esteemed Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Argh!  You folks are killin' me here!  My reading list was already a mile long & now you're throwing me another mile's worth of suggestions.  A good "problem" to have, eh?

I think I'm going to have a love-hate relationship with this forumWoman LOL

BTW, I just finished Kent Haruf's TIE THAT BINDS.  His storytelling style is down home & intimate, as if he's sitting across from you with a cup of coffee in his hand & recalling the tale to the best of his recollection.  In fact, he even says that in this story.  Midway through the tale, you'll realize where it's headed, yet be powerless to put it down.   

Our Souls at Night was Kent Haruf's last book, as he died as he finished writing it. His wife edited it and then it was done. I loved loved LOVED this book, along with all his other books.

If you haven't read them, read them all, in order...Plainsong, Eventide, The Tie that Binds, Where you Once Belonged, Benediction, and Our Souls at Night. There are some characters that are continuous and it's best if you read them in the order that he wrote them.  

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

I just finished Sue Grafton's new book, "X", and it was very good. I know there are a lot of fans of this series here, and I think you'll enjoy the book as well.
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Argh!  You folks are killin' me here!  My reading list was already a mile long & now you're throwing me another mile's worth of suggestions.  A good "problem" to have, eh?

I think I'm going to have a love-hate relationship with this forumWoman LOL

BTW, I just finished Kent Haruf's TIE THAT BINDS.  His storytelling style is down home & intimate, as if he's sitting across from you with a cup of coffee in his hand & recalling the tale to the best of his recollection.  In fact, he even says that in this story.  Midway through the tale, you'll realize where it's headed, yet be powerless to put it down.   

Our Souls at Night was Kent Haruf's last book, as he died as he finished writing it. His wife edited it and then it was done. I loved loved LOVED this book, along with all his other books.

If you haven't read them, read them all, in order...Plainsong, Eventide, The Tie that Binds, Where you Once Belonged, Benediction, and Our Souls at Night. There are some characters that are continuous and it's best if you read them in the order that he wrote them.  

OK, I've decided to read these as soon as I get thru my holds-I've been tempted before but after reading a summary I will start them-starting with the first one. I was wondering, would you compare his writing with Billie Letts-she wrote about real people. And so did Faith Sullivan. These are two of my favorite authors.

Esteemed Contributor

@pateacher wrote:

I am reading The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny. It's the latest in the Inspector Gamache mysteries.  Retired in the village of Three Pines, Gamache, his  former colleagues, and neighbors try to solve the mystery of a colossal "gun," discovered near the village.

@pateacher, I am reading this as well.  Just started it yesterday.  I find some of the context setting a bit redundant (there I assume for those who have not read the previous books) but am enjoying it so far.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@pateacher wrote:

@pateacher, I am reading this as well.  Just started it yesterday.  I find some of the context setting a bit redundant (there I assume for those who have not read the previous books) but am enjoying it so far.  LM

I sure hope it isn't going over again the traumatic event that he and Jean had in a couple books ago-I don't think I could go over that again-and again-and again. I know it was traumatic but I wish she would get onto the new adventure and keep that behind them.