Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

@Sunnyfield wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Linders Back wrote:

Books I read and did enjoy:  

Dark Voyage by Alan Furst.  (my review on goodreads "Although this is a recent book, the author's writing style evokes the time period he writes about perfectly in both his descriptions and the speech patterns of the characters. It is as if you were dropped into the actual setting. (A tribute to the author is that I was mentally casting this as a film using 1940's actors rather than current stars). Taut plot and interesting group of International crew, diplomats, and spies take you along on a secret mission from the Mediterranean to the Baltic aboard a neutral Dutch merchant steamer commandeered by the British Secret Service in the early days of WWII.)  

This is what I do all the time-let's face it. They just don't make actors like those anymore. True movie stars. Anyway, this sounds really good and I will get it-author sounds familiar.

O/T  My dad actually couriered some documents from the US to Hawaii during WWII and had to take merchant ships to do it...he was stationed in Hawaii and got a Bronze Star - unfortunately he would never tell what it was for and his records were all lost in a fire at the VA many years ago....

None of them talked about it. I guess they just saw too much and just couldn't talk about it. Sounds like your dad had an exciting job-important, too.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sunnyfield,  depending on the exact timeline your father could have been involved in some really intriguing stuff.  

I thought this would post in the above thread but it posted as a separate "reply".  How does one post to a ongoing conversation on thiss new format?  

http://www.alanfurst.net/books

These all look good.  I will definitely be on the lookout for some of them. 

Two other reviews from his website: 

“Furst delivers edgy eloquence and menace lurking everywhere in the night and fog.”

- New York Daily News

“Mr. Furst excels at period atmosphere, which he conjures up, not with a litany of facts absorbed and reproduced, but with light touches that suggest the broader scene. ”

-The Economist

[ Edited ]

Reading " The Ghost of You" by Kristen Darling.  Great book, great plot, many surprises!!  Highly recommended!!

Honored Contributor

@Irish930 wrote:

Reading " The Ghost of You" by Kristen Darling.  Great book, great plot, many surprises!!  Highly recommended!!

As in, "Oh, how the ghost of you clings, these foolish things remind me of you.'' Great title. I wonder why my library doesn't have it.

Honored Contributor

Just finished The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson.  Thanks to all the people on this forum that suggested it. 

Also recently read The Residence by Kate Andersen Brower.  Interesting facts and memories from the White House staff about different administrations.  I really enjoyed this book. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Irish930 wrote:

As in, "Oh, how the ghost of you clings, these foolish things remind me of you.'' Great title. I wonder why my library doesn't have it.

@Irish930, this looks like a good one.  Thanks for posting.  I'm going to give this a try.  I'm having trouble getting into a book these dog days of summer.

Here is the storyline from Good Reads for those interested.  LM

Kaitlyn Vandere just wants to feel safe; safe from the panic attacks she suffers on a regular basis, safe from the ghosts of her troubled childhood, and safe from her damaged heart.

When she meets Luke Denevan, the new company IT Director with the dark eyes and the hypnotic smile, she finally understands the meaning of ‘love at first sight’. There’s only one problem: he’s married.

Fueled by mutual attraction and undeniable passion, Luke and Kaitlyn embark on a secret affair, until Chris Anderson, a handsome coworker who's is madly in love with Kaitlyn, offers her a real chance at love.

When tragedy strikes without warning, Kaitlyn realizes the importance of taking a chance and following her heart, but discovers a secret that forces her to make the most difficult decision of her life; a decision that will both alter her future and keep her trapped by her past.

Lost love is a tragedy from which many people never recover. The memories that haunt will taint a heart forever, as the constant thoughts of "if only..." weave their dark magic through thoughts and dreams.

But what if you had a chance to reclaim your lost love? Would you take it, despite the obstacles you may face? Would you risk everything for the one that got away?

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Irish930 wrote:

@Irish930, this looks like a good one.  Thanks for posting.  I'm going to give this a try.  I'm having trouble getting into a book these dog days of summer.

Here is the storyline from Good Reads for those interested.  LM

Kaitlyn Vandere just wants to feel safe; safe from the panic attacks she suffers on a regular basis, safe from the ghosts of her troubled childhood, and safe from her damaged heart.

When she meets Luke Denevan, the new company IT Director with the dark eyes and the hypnotic smile, she finally understands the meaning of ‘love at first sight’. There’s only one problem: he’s married.

Fueled by mutual attraction and undeniable passion, Luke and Kaitlyn embark on a secret affair, until Chris Anderson, a handsome coworker who's is madly in love with Kaitlyn, offers her a real chance at love.

When tragedy strikes without warning, Kaitlyn realizes the importance of taking a chance and following her heart, but discovers a secret that forces her to make the most difficult decision of her life; a decision that will both alter her future and keep her trapped by her past.

Lost love is a tragedy from which many people never recover. The memories that haunt will taint a heart forever, as the constant thoughts of "if only..." weave their dark magic through thoughts and dreams.

But what if you had a chance to reclaim your lost love? Would you take it, despite the obstacles you may face? Would you risk everything for the one that got away?

Thanks, you just changed my mind-not really what I'm looking for. 

Super Contributor

@Linders Back wrote:

Sunnyfield,  depending on the exact timeline your father could have been involved in some really intriguing stuff.  

I thought this would post in the above thread but it posted as a separate "reply".  How does one post to a ongoing conversation on thiss new format?  

http://www.alanfurst.net/books

These all look good.  I will definitely be on the lookout for some of them. 

Two other reviews from his website: 

“Furst delivers edgy eloquence and menace lurking everywhere in the night and fog.”

- New York Daily News

“Mr. Furst excels at period atmosphere, which he conjures up, not with a litany of facts absorbed and reproduced, but with light touches that suggest the broader scene. ”

-The Economist

Not to hijack the thread, LindersBack, but I think he was involved in some interesting stuff - but then he was a pretty iinteresting guy!! - my mother did tell me he could find out where friends of theirs were stationed in the South Pacific and let her know they were OK...he was at Schofield Barracks and his job was supervising all of the mail coming from the South Pacific troops going back to the States.

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished the Pilgrimage by Ann B. Ross about 2 sisters, one 17 the other 12, from MO who travel alone to Oregon with the Donner family. The older wants to be a missionary the younger, the narrator, does not.

They encounter very colorful characters, horrors and adventures. Written in dialects and just a great read.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

Insomniac and LoriLori - you've gotten my interest and now I want to read THE SEA HOUSE -  I've put it on my list.

Also, I am reading THE NIGHTINGALE for the second time - the first time I gave up before I finished 100 pages - well now I love it - the story and the characters are soooo interesting!  I am surprised!

@SAGal, I will have to go back to THE NIGHTENGALE.  I PTB too lol.  LM