Trusted Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

@Colinka@Lynneuk

Thank you both.  Yes, I have tried novelist through my library, but it didn't come up with anything promising, mostly non-fiction titles.  I never realized "back in the day" that books could get discarded from libraries and all memory of them competely disappear.  I had thought the Tut book was "Pharaoh" by Eloise Jarvis McGraw, but when I got to read it again, it is aboout Hatshepsut -- wrong era.  I remember reading lots of books about the Elizabethan era, but apparently they fell out of favor fictionally (in spite of the hoop-de-doo about The Tudors in the recent TV series). 

Lynneuk, I'll check out whatshouldireadnext.  That's new to me and sounds like a good resource.   There are times when Amazon just isn't enough!  You'd think someone on the Internet would have created a giant "Dictionary of Fictional Characters" to rival Wikipedia -- hmmmm, maybe there's a Dictionary of Video Game Characters???????

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hello everyone, I have not posted for several months, and was very surprised by all the changes to the forum! It has been a long, sad summer for me; my mother became very ill and died recently. Sitting by her bedside in the hospital and then hospice, gave me plenty of time to read, and I have enjoyed newly-published books by these authors: Elly Griffiths, Laura Levine, Danielle Steel, Mary Higgins Clark, Daniel Silva, Lorna Barrett, Blaize Clement, Nancy Atherton, Alexander McCall Smith, David Rosenfelt, and Kathy Reichs. In addition, I am making my way through the Inspector Wexford series by Ruth Rendell, and the Flowershop mystery series by Kate Collins. The only book I did not like this summer was James Patterson's "TRUST OR DIE"; I "pulled the bookmark" after 50 pages. Currently, I am about to start Spencer Quinn's latest dog mystery, "SCENTS AND SENSIBILITY", and then Linda Castillo's new Amish mystery, "AFTER THE STORM". Also, I wanted to alert the Elly Griffiths fans that she is starting a new series, and the first book, "THE ZIG ZAG GIRL" will come out on September 15th. And, there will be a new Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling) book coming out on October 20th, called "CAREER OF EVIL." Finally, I just wanted to add (from other threads) that I enjoyed Peter Swanson's "THE KIND WORTH KILLING" too, and am looking forward to Sue Grafton's "X" book as well. Whew, now I am all caught up!
Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:
Hello everyone, I have not posted for several months, and was very surprised by all the changes to the forum! It has been a long, sad summer for me; my mother became very ill and died recently. Sitting by her bedside in the hospital and then hospice, gave me plenty of time to read, and I have enjoyed newly-published books by these authors: Elly Griffiths, Laura Levine, Danielle Steel, Mary Higgins Clark, Daniel Silva, Lorna Barrett, Blaize Clement, Nancy Atherton, Alexander McCall Smith, David Rosenfelt, and Kathy Reichs. In addition, I am making my way through the Inspector Wexford series by Ruth Rendell, and the Flowershop mystery series by Kate Collins. The only book I did not like this summer was James Patterson's "TRUST OR DIE"; I "pulled the bookmark" after 50 pages. Currently, I am about to start Spencer Quinn's latest dog mystery, "SCENTS AND SENSIBILITY", and then Linda Castillo's new Amish mystery, "AFTER THE STORM". Also, I wanted to alert the Elly Griffiths fans that she is starting a new series, and the first book, "THE ZIG ZAG GIRL" will come out on September 15th. And, there will be a new Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling) book coming out on October 20th, called "CAREER OF EVIL." Finally, I just wanted to add (from other threads) that I enjoyed Peter Swanson's "THE KIND WORTH KILLING" too, and am looking forward to Sue Grafton's "X" book as well. Whew, now I am all caught up!

Welcome back dawg lover.  I am sorry to hear about your mother.  It's nice to see you posting again.  It takes awhile to get used to all the changes but hang in there.  I don't seem to post a lot now but I always come here for reading material.  Happy reading!  LM

Respected Contributor

@dawg lover I'm so sorry to hear about your mother.  Glad you're back.   Whew! You read some great books.  We are all trying to navigate the new forum.  So many changes.  There are a lot of things I like about it, but as with anything new, there are things I don't like. 

Thank you for mentioning the new series by Elly Griffiths (I didn't realize it would be a series).  I just love her books.

You have always been a great resource for me.

Valued Contributor

I just finished THE KIND WORTH KILLING that several of you here have mentioned.  I thought it was excellent and appreciate the recommendation.

I have just started MONKEEWRENCH by P J Tracy (also recommended on this forum) --  so far I love it -- this writer has a great sense of humor and I have been laughing out loud.

category:  mystery

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your kind words, Lilysmom and Smoky; I really appreciate it. For Shop at Q, I enjoyed the Monkeewrench books too. Honeybit, please post if you ever track down that Penelope Rich book. I really do think that I read that book too, many years ago, as it seems very familiar. I have read tons of British historical fiction over the years.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson and enjoyed it. Lots of twists and turns!  Thanks Lynneuk for the recommendation!

Now I'm starting Twisted by Andrew E. Kaufman - recommended by Big Sister.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Finished this book this weekend and it was so good.  Usually I have the murder figured out at least half way through the book but not with this one. The Pocket Wife, Susan Crawford

The Pocket Wife: A Novel

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Finished this book this weekend and it was so good.  Usually I have the murder figured out at least half way through the book but not with this one. The Pocket Wife, Susan Crawford

The Pocket Wife: A Novel

Thanks for the recommendation. Just put it on hold at my library.

Trusted Contributor

I should have known better, but I read Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee.  I can now understand all the discussions and controversies that surround this book, so I am glad I read it.