Frequent Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- August 2015

I expect you have tried this, but I googled the shorter name, and put in' Fiction books on King Tut' and there were quite a lot of books mentioned. Maybe not the one you want, though.

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

Do any of you know of an online resource for locating books by searching for a character -- especially older books?  Two of the books I'm trying to find were fiction but both were about historical characters.  One was about Tutankhaton/Tutankhamun and his wife Ankhensenpaaton/ Ankhesenamun; the other was set during the reign of Elizabeth I and featured Sir Philip Sidney and Penelope Rich -- it wasn't restricted to Elizabeth's court, because there was a long sequence about the battle in which Sidney was fatally wounded.

I've tried Good Reads with nothing but frustrating results.  Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

@Honeybit

Ankhesenpaaten/Ankhesenamum appears as a fictionalized character in these works:

• as the narrator in The Last Heiress: A Novel of Tutankhamun's Queen by Stephanie Liaci.
  • in the Belgian series, Het Huis Anubis, as The Vengeful Wife of Tutankhamun.
  • as the main character in Christian Jacq's novel La reine soleil, and in the animated film adaptation of the same name.
  • as the main character in The Lost Queen of Egypt by Lucile Morrison.
  • as a main character in The Twelfth Transforming by Pauline Gedge.
  • in the manga series Red River by Chie Shinohara. This appearance is in relation to the Hittite Letters event.
  • a character in Nefertiti by Michelle Moran, as the third of her six daughters.
  • the main character in the novel Tutankhamun and the Daughter of Ra by Moyra Caldecott.
  • Her name is used as the love of Imhotep, the titular mummy in the original 1932 film The Mummy, which was made after the publicity surrounding the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb. She is portrayed by Zita Johann. In the 1999 remake The Mummy and its sequel The Mummy Returns she is played by Patricia Velasquez. In the 1932 film, her name is spelled Ankh-es-en-amon. In the 1999 film, it is spelled Anck-su-namun.
  • The novel Pillar of Fire by Judith Tarr deals in large part with the life of Ankhesenamun.
  • in P.C. Doherty's Akhenaten trilogy where she is implicated in Tutankhamun's death and is to marry a Hittite Prince.
  • as a major character in The Murder of King Tut, a murder mystery based on speculation about her husband's death by James Patterson and Martin Dugard.
  • as a major character in Tutankhamun: the Book of Shadows, by Nick Drake.
  • in Tut on Spike she is played by Sibyilla Deen
Honored Contributor

@Honeybit

From “a brilliant new player in the court of royal fiction” (People), comes the mesmerizing story of Lady Penelope Devereux—the daring young beauty in the Tudor court, who inspired Sir Philip Sidney’s famous sonnets even while she plotted against Queen Elizabeth.

Penelope Devereux arrives at Queen Elizabeth’s court where she and her brother, the Earl of Essex, are drawn into the aging Queen’s favor. Young and naïve, Penelope, though promised elsewhere, falls in love with Philip Sidney who pours his heartbreak into the now classic sonnet series Astrophil and Stella. But Penelope is soon married off to a man who loathes her. Never fainthearted, she chooses her moment and strikes a deal with her husband: after she gives birth to two sons, she will be free to live as she chooses, with whom she chooses. But she is to discover that the course of true love is never smooth.

Meanwhile Robert Cecil, ever loyal to Elizabeth, has his eye on Penelope and her brother. Although it seems the Earl of Essex can do no wrong in the eyes of the Queen, as his influence grows, so his enemies gather. Penelope must draw on all her political savvy to save her brother from his own ballooning ambition and Cecil’s trap, while daring to plan for an event it is treason even to think about.

Unfolding over the course of two decades and told from the perspectives of Penelope and her greatest enemy, the devious politician Cecil, Watch the Lady chronicles the last gasps of Elizabeth’s reign, and the deadly scramble for power in a dying dynasty.

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit

Courtier, poet, soldier, diplomat - Philip Sidney was one of the most promising young men of his age. Son of Elizabeth I's deputy in Ireland, nephew and heir to her favourite, Leicester, he was tipped for high office - and even to inherit the throne. But Sidney soon found himself caught up in the intricate politics of Elizabeth's court and forced to become as Machiavellian as everyone around him if he was to achieve his ambitions. Against a backdrop of Elizabethan intrigue and the battle between Protestant and Catholic for predominance in Europe, Alan Stewart tells the riveting story of Philip Sidney's struggle to succeed. Seeing that his continental allies had a greater sense of his importance that his English contemporaries, Philip turned his attention to Europe. He was made a French baron at seventeen, corresponded with leading foreign scholars, considered marriage proposals from two princesses and, at the time of his tragically early death, was being openly spoken of as the next ruler of the Netherlands.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono, Okay, you're going to have to tell me how you found all the King Tut information or I will be worrying you to death the rest of your life to do more research for me.  One of them sounds especially promising -- it's old enough and it's priced at $200+ on Amazon.  ERK!  I've already put in a HOLD request at my library to check it out.

Watch the Lady sounds good, but it's too new to be the one I remember.  I can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve for me.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

The Philip Sidney is also too new.  At the time I was reading a lot of Henry VIII-Elizabeth-Mary Queen of Scots fiction.  I knew Sidney was an actual historical figure, but I didn't know until much later that Penelope Rich was anything but fictional.  One of the phrases I remember was a comment by the viewpoint character (who wasn't Elizabeth) that "...her voice was as rich as her name." 

It is one of my lasting regrets that I never thought of keeping a journal of the books I read -- never even heard of the idea until it was MUCH too late.

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit

I don't know if this site will help or not.

http://www.burtonbookreview.com/

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

@lolakimono, Okay, you're going to have to tell me how you found all the King Tut information or I will be worrying you to death the rest of your life to do more research for me.  One of them sounds especially promising -- it's old enough and it's priced at $200+ on Amazon.  ERK!  I've already put in a HOLD request at my library to check it out.

@Honeybit

Well, I would hate to give up my proprietary secrets, but I used Google and I copied/pasted your search terms.  Cat TongueThe long list is from Wikipedia, which I thought might give you a good start.  

Valued Contributor

Re: finding an old title:

If you are able to access "Novelist Plus" through your library's web portal, you will find it to be a great resource for finding books to read.  The advanced search feature lets you find information about almost any book.  I especially like the "Read Alike" feature. 

You wll have to ask your local library if they subscribe to it.  If they don't, they should be able to tell you how to get to it using another library's website.

Trusted Contributor

A site I often use is "whatshouldIreadnext.com. You put in the name of a book you really loved and it suggests similar books or authors for you.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I am reading A Lasting Impression, an American historical romance set in Nashville following the Civil War, by Tamera Alexander AND The Hour I First Believed, a novel about the deadly shooting in Columbine, by Wally Lamb.