Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

@smoky22  Yes, the 500 pages and the small print. One time I got a book with both of these features plus it was yellowed with age. I just turned it right back in. Even the librarian shook his head in wondering how this book even got by. Just think if "Beneath" were written in large print form. It would be the size of an encyclopedia. I guess I'll just wait and see what they got for me but the waitlist is long.

Honored Contributor

Reading "Slade House" by David Mitchell.  I always read scary stuff around Halloween, and this is the best contemporary literary horror I've read (as opposed to?  "House of Leaves", which I detested).  

This was recommended here a while ago I think by @smoky22?  Tried it a year or so ago and PTB, I can't imagine why because it's so enjoyable.  Each book has its time, doesn't it.  Will read "The Bone Clocks" after I make a dent in my TBR pile.

Yesterday I received "Behind These Walls" and "The Devil Crept In" by Ania Ahlborn.  They look great and have great reviews. 

@smoky22, was that you too?  If yes I should just give you my Amazon password and let you order my books!!!  If not Smoky, apologies to whoever suggested the above.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori I finished the Devil Crept In not too long ago, I liked it, the first book I had read by the author!  I hope you enjoy it!

Trusted Contributor

Just finished another Jenny Colgan book, Welcome to Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop of Dreams.  Another easy read by this author and thanks to the book buddy who mentioned it here!

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori  I loved Slade House and The Bone Clocks.  I have never been able to read Cloud Atlas.  But as you said, maybe it wasn't the right time yet. 

I did not recommend the other two books.  Looks like @CareBears recommended one of them. 

Hope you enjoy them all!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  Do you also go trick or treating? hahaha But if you do, what will you be this year?

Honored Contributor

@smoky22, thank you for "Slade House" by David Mitchell, fantastic book!  So clever and so much fun to read but scary at the same time -- a tour de force.

@CareBears, my Frederik Backman buddy, thanks for Ania Ahlborn!  I'm going to read "Within These Walls" next and then "The Devil Crept In." 

You can both have my Amazon password!  Thanks for all the great books.  Thanks to everyone for all the great books.

And @Judaline, been a while since I went trick or treating or in costume but I did great costumes when I was younger.  If I was going to a Halloween party this year (which I'm not)  I'd definitely be somebody from Twin Peaks The Return.  The possiblities are endless.

Honored Contributor

Ladies, I'm finding your posts & recommendations SO informative!  

However, I keep seeing an abbreviation I don't recognize.  What does "YA" mean?   Young adult?

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Ladies, I'm finding your posts & recommendations SO informative!  

However, I keep seeing an abbreviation I don't recognize.  What does "YA" mean?   Young adult?

Yes, but you don't have to be young to enjoy them.  I believe

The Hunger Games was written for a YA audience.

When I taught, I previewed many YA books for high school readers; most of them were very good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Need To Know, by Fern Michaels;

Any Day Now, by Robyn Carr

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."