Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~ SEPTEMBER 2017

[ Edited ]

The Ranger by Ace Atkins

The first in the Quinn Colson series. Don't know why it took me so long to start this series!

Respected Contributor

Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi -historical fiction tracing the descendants of two West African half sisters - one who marries a white slave trader and one who is traded to the U.S. slavers.  Excellent book, highly recommend.

Make Your Home Among Strangers, Jennine Capo Crucet  - about a Cuban-American girl  from Miami  who is the first in her family to go to college - winning a scholarship to an elite school in the east which she takes against her familys' wishes.  Her mother then devotes herself to the Ariel Hernandez (Elian Gonzalez) cause until he is deported.  Very interesting and insightful as to how first generation minority kids have to negotiate a strange new world in college.  Highly recommend.

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

The Book of Polly by Kathy Hepinstall

Book friends, this is such a good book and a surprise because it's one I just happened to see on the return cart at the library! 

Willow Havens is the 10 year old main character. Her mother had her when she was in her 50's  and Willow lives in fear her mother will die. Mother, Polly, is a cantankerous, take no prisoners Texan who lives to work in her garden, chase varmints, drink margaritas, and antagonize her neighbors! My kind of woman!

There's also the mystery of why her mother left Louisiana years ago and never returned.

@DukeBlueNan

I also read this book and enjoyed it.

Esteemed Contributor

@hick wrote:

I just finished reading one of the best books I've ever read - Leopard at the Door by Jennifer McVeigh.  This is her second book and it's fairly new.  Her first, The Fever Tree, came out in 2013 and I loved that too.

This new one is about the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya.  The story is absolutely fantastic and the writing is beautiful.

Hi @hick. I just looked up Leopard at the Door and decided to place a hold on it because I'd love to read it. I started reading a few pages on Amazon and I liked it.

Thanks for the recommendation!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I just finished Watch Me Disappear (Janelle Brown).  I got suckered into reading the whole thing.  I wish I had all that time back again to read something different.   Nuff said, I guess. 

Honored Contributor

I just finished Watch Me Disappear as well as it was a bit disappointing. 

I also read The Woman in Cabin 10 and like it. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like Ruth Ware's In a Dark Woods is better so I've got that on my wishlist. 

Right now I'm listening to The Dollhouse. It's good so far. On chapter 6. 

Valued Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

I just finished Watch Me Disappear as well as it was a bit disappointing. 

I also read The Woman in Cabin 10 and like it. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like Ruth Ware's In a Dark Woods is better so I've got that on my wishlist. 

Right now I'm listening to The Dollhouse. It's good so far. On chapter 6. 

@GenXmuse 

I enjoy reading Ruth Ware's books, too.

Our book blub read The Dollhouse last month.  I am currently reading Fiona Barton's The Address

This book is set in the Dakota, another NYC historic building.  Pretty good so far!

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished Fiona Barton's book THE CHILD.  It was pretty good.  I would recommend it.  Next up is GLASS HOUSES by Louise Penny.  LM

Honored Contributor

@smoky22  I knew from the title I wouldn't like it. So I didn't read it!

Honored Contributor

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."