Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2019

@yellowrose wrote:

Just finished "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck

Glad I eavesdropped on the conversation between @sunala and @minkbunny 

about this book.   I enjoyed the story of Wang Lung very much.

@yellowrose- I am SOOOO happy that you read The Good Earth. It's never too late to read and appreciate the story of Wang Lung and O-Lan. I get weepy eyed just thinking about it. It's time for me to read it again. I usually do that at least once a year. I have it on my Kindle and just pick a page and start reading. Pass it on!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Today I finished The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.  I enjoyed the book but can somebody who has read it give me their interpretation of the ending.  If so, please do a Spoiler Alert.  I still haven't figured it out and may reread the last third of the book.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Final Girls by Riley Sager is my latest read.  I have read a number of thrillers and I would rate this one only fair.  First of all, the story seemed to drag; it needed momentum to make me want to get back to it after putting the book down.  It just wasn't one of those books.   The main character was not particularly likable is another thought I have about why I wasn't crazy about the story.  It was one of those books I would not tell someone to not read, but there are better thrillers out there.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

Final Girls by Riley Sager is my latest read.  I have read a number of thrillers and I would rate this one only fair.  First of all, the story seemed to drag; it needed momentum to make me want to get back to it after putting the book down.  It just wasn't one of those books.   The main character was not particularly likable is another thought I have about why I wasn't crazy about the story.  It was one of those books I would not tell someone to not read, but there are better thrillers out there.

@maximillian Good to know. Thanks! I had this one on hold.. I am going to read The Last Time I lied nex then!

Honored Contributor

All The Wrong Places, by Joy Fielding.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Dead Voices by Katherine Arden, it reminded me of the horror stories we used to tell each other at Slumber Parties, it was a detailed story, but a fast read.

Next up Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks, will post my final review when i finish!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished Death on the Tower:  A Higgins & Hawke Mystery Book 2 by Lee Strauss.  The series takes place in the 1930's with Haley Higgins as the Assistant Medical Examiner in Boston and Sam Hawke as a newspaper reporter trying to compete with the newsmen at her paper.   This book was very good, is historical fiction, and there is always something in history to learn from Lee Strauss' books.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Someone We Know by Shari Lapena (4 Stars)

The novel by Shari Lapena does not disappoint. It is well written, with excellent use of language and flow of story line as the story begins with a violent murder in upstate NY. But who is killed? By whom? Why? 

As the plot unfolds, the new couple's husband on the block reports his young, attractive and flirtatious wife missing. A techy teenager has been breaking into neighborhood homes. Whose spouses have been having liasons? Another teen is drinking a lot. Parents are worried about their kids. Neighbors are worried about their homes being broken into. Gossip is rampant. Detectives interviews ensue and continue and continue. And, another murder by strangulation with a cord-like object. 

If you are bored with many of the routine mystery/crime novels recently, this is a very good change of pace. Shari Lapena's intricate details and creative imagination provides the reader with an unusual book which isn't easy to figure out until near the end.

This is the second book of hers that I've read and I intend to follow her on Goodreads! She's that enjoyable of an author. I could not put this book down late last night and this morning. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Someone We Know by Shari Lapena (4 Stars)

The novel by Shari Lapena does not disappoint. It is well written, with excellent use of language and flow of story line as the story begins with a violent murder in upstate NY. But who is killed? By whom? Why? 

As the plot unfolds, the new couple's husband on the block reports his young, attractive and flirtatious wife missing. A techy teenager has been breaking into neighborhood homes. Whose spouses have been having liasons? Another teen is drinking a lot. Parents are worried about their kids. Neighbors are worried about their homes being broken into. Gossip is rampant. Detectives interviews ensue and continue and continue. And, another murder by strangulation with a cord-like object. 

If you are bored with many of the routine mystery/crime novels recently, this is a very good change of pace. Shari Lapena's intricate details and creative imagination provides the reader with an unusual book which isn't easy to figure out until near the end.

This is the second book of hers that I've read and I intend to follow her on Goodreads! She's that enjoyable of an author. I could not put this book down late last night and this morning. 

@BirkiLady This is the only one of hers that I haven't read. I love her books! I will add this one to the top of my list! Thanks for your take on it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN  Probably because it was just released! Enjoy it. Smiley Very Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.