Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2018

Feared by Lisa Scottoline

Regular Contributor

This month has been a little strange for me in my reading life. I would say that I am a total mood reader: whatever strikes my fancy is what I go with. This month, however, I have joined a few online book clubs and have "assignments" there, plus some ARCs I am committed to review. So even though it's a week into the new month, I have only finished 2 books!

Finished:
Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren (a very funny romance!)

A Reason to Stay by June Stevens (a super quick novella that wasn't that great)

Reading:
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe by Marisa de la Cruz

Dating You/Hating You by Christina Lauren

Esteemed Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

I finished The Alibi Man by Tami Hong.  First book of hers that I was like ‘Meh’.  I usually like her.  LM

I  think you mean HOAG!!  LOL

Yes!  @SWEET, good catch.  Totally missed it!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@SparklesMcGee wrote:

This month has been a little strange for me in my reading life. I would say that I am a total mood reader: whatever strikes my fancy is what I go with. This month, however, I have joined a few online book clubs and have "assignments" there, plus some ARCs I am committed to review. So even though it's a week into the new month, I have only finished 2 books!

Finished:
Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren (a very funny romance!)

A Reason to Stay by June Stevens (a super quick novella that wasn't that great)

Reading:
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe by Marisa de la Cruz

Dating You/Hating You by Christina Lauren

@SparklesMcGee

Exactly why I can't belong to book clubs. I am just too selfish. I am like a petulant child when it comes to reading. I want to read what I want when I want. LOL...

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been a little behind.

I finished listening to The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle. What 5 people living or dead would you like to have dinner with?  On her 30th birthday, Sabrina gets this chance. Interesting concept ruined by a horrible narration by the young author. Came close to returning the Audible but I trudged through the short book.

I read Circe by Madeline Miller. A minor (?) character in the Odyssey gets her own full story.  Really enjoyed learning about the Greek gods as I was on my cruise to Athens. I liked this a lot and found myself googling to learn more about the gods and monsters and other characters. Read like a novel, not a textbook.

Also read Lethal White by Robert Galbraith. May be a little long, but I liked the plotting in this most recent Cormoran Strike novel.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego 

I just finished Lethal White and I thought it was a lot too long. Good ending, though.

I absolutely loved Circe, which really took me by surprise.  It's maybe my favorite book of the year so far.   

Respected Contributor

After Lethal White I wanted something shorter and maybe more fun.  I picked up the first in the Lady Justice series and I'm kind of disappointed.  I've read several of the later books and they are a lot more fun.   It's even kind of crude.  I'm glad I know that they get better.

Honored Contributor

Room On The Porch Swing, by Amy Clipston;

My Name Is Venus Black, by Heather Lloyd;

Summer At The Garden Cafe, by Felicity Hayes-McCoy.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Contributor

By invitation only by Dorothea Benton Frank

Honored Contributor

I finishes The Au Pair, it was good but very predictable....But a good, move along quickly read. I am now going to read a Danielle Steel novel. I haven't read a book by her in such a long time. It is called MATTERS OF THE HEART.....So far, good.....