Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2017

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover wrote:

@Judaline - I just started "MAGPIE MURDER" and I saw what you mentioned on the September thread, about there being a tv series based on the Atticus Pund character. Before the Atticus Pund book starts, there is a page of fake blurbs, praising the author for his wonderful books.  (Although the page is not numbered, it is 4 pages after Page 4 in the very first section)  At the bottom of this page, it says "SOON TO BE A  MAJOR BBC1 TELEVISION SERIES."  But, since all the author blurbs are fake, I imagine that the tv series is fake as well.  It does look very convincing though!  And who knows, they may pick up this idea and run with it in the future!

Well, I guess I never was into this little game the author was playing-I took everything seriously. The book and all I read regarding the book and never quite getting it. I still don't get it and I don't think it's brilliant or ingenius, or whatever. Guess I'm a realist. I liked Atticus Pund and the Christie like characters. Not so much this author who toyed with me, lol. Oh, and no, I didn't think the characters were real!!!!

Respected Contributor

I hope I'm not the only adult here who reads kids books. I'm reading Serafina and the Twisted Staff by Robert Beatty it's the 2nd in the series. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lorilori I've seen most of the Midsomer Murders, going back years. Anthony Horowitz may have contributed to the script, but there were many others right alongside of him. He was just one. The books were taken from the Caroline Graham mystery novels, pretty famous herself.

ETA~I just read on another thread that Horowitz instigated the Midsomer Murder series. I sure didn't know that, so you were probably onto something.

Frequent Contributor

ORDINARY GRACE  BY  WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER     A coming of age novel set in the early 1960's about a minister, his wife, their children, and the fateful circumstances set in a small town.  The 2 sons are innocently mischevous.  Then several tragedies strike that summer . This changes them forever.  I loved this book and it is very well written.

BEFORE WE WERE YOURS  BY  LISA WINGATE    Based on a true store about the Foss children in the 1930's.  They were stolen and sent to an orphanage which was run by a cold hearted woman who was all about money and what she could sell them for.  Heartbreaking at times, this is an important book about some of the times in that era.

CHRONICLE IN STONE  BY  ISMAIL KADARE    Loved this book so much that I found myself reading it slower and slower so it would not end!!  Based on true happenings during WWII in Albania.  A coming of age story about a boy and how the war is seen through his eyes.  He lives in a stone village, inhabited by ancient ways.  There are people who are superstious, exhibit magical thinking and abhor change.  Yet, they are a loving people and love their life.  The war comes to them, first the Italians, then the Greeks, Italians again, then the Nazis.  I loved the descriptions the author used and how the people dealt with tragedy.

Regular Contributor

I have just begun to read A COLUMN OF FIRE by Ken Follett.  Loved the first two in the trilogy.

Our local book club book this month is THE BOOK THAT MATTERS MOST by Ann Hood.  I won't begin to read it until about a week before the club meets at the end of the month because I always forget the details.  😏  

Trusted Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

Murder On Halloween by Steve Demaree. I love this cozy mystery series.

Turkey Trot Mystery ( A Lucy Stone cozy)

Wagging Through The Snow Melanie Travis Cozy mystery

These are the three I have loaded up and ready to go on my Kindle. I love all three of these series.

@Kitlynn - I love Laurien Berenson's Melanie Travis Dog Show cozy mysteries too!  They are one of my favorites.  I especially love Aunt Peg!  My library has not gotten the latest one yet; I am waiting impatiently!

I read TURKEY TROT MURDER, but didn't enjoy it as much.  It is very political and just not as fun to read this time.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover  Thanks. Duh on me. I'm so gullible. My brother once told me, 'you believe everything you read.' hahaha He was right. I really liked Pund. Reminded me so much of Poirot. I guess that's exactly what Horowitz wanted me to think. His tongue was in his cheek again. Big time.

Honored Contributor

For The Roses, by Julie Garwood;

The Horse Dancer, by Jojo Moyes.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I got an email from Janet Evanovich telling me Turbo 24 comes out November 14th. And supposedly the new Robert Crais in December. The Wanted. I think I may just buy the Elvis Cole book because I want to savor it. lol

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tobe wrote:

ORDINARY GRACE  BY  WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER     A coming of age novel set in the early 1960's about a minister, his wife, their children, and the fateful circumstances set in a small town.  The 2 sons are innocently mischevous.  Then several tragedies strike that summer . This changes them forever.  I loved this book and it is very well written.

@tobe- I LOVED Ordinary Grace. It's one of my very favorite books. I hope you love it too!
"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett