Esteemed Contributor

WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2017 ~ CLOSED

[ Edited ]

Happy OCTOBER 2017 to all of our reading friends!

Welcome to all the new members of our group. Here are some of the suggestions that have been requested...

Underline, "bold" or CAPITALIZE the name of the book you're reading - it makes it easier for us readers to see what it is.

Please include the author of the book - first and last name. There are so many books with the same, or similar title (if you are recommending a book, we want to make sure we read the right one)!

If you like, post a few words about the book - would you recommend it or not, and why.

Tell us the book genre - is it fiction, a mystery, romance, historical fiction, biography, memoir, or any other type of book.

Of course, there is no obligation to do any of the above, but it makes life more enjoyable for all of us here. 

And please, NO SPOILERS**

If you have any suggestions, please shout it out, as we’re always open to new ideas!

Have a great month, and happy reading to all!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? OCTOBER 2017

I just started Steve Demaree's 13th Dekker series book, Murder on Halloween.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Frequent Contributor

The Cuban Affair by Nelson DeMille. The book is intense but DeMille inserts his sense of humor, which I love.

Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.”
Super Contributor

Just finished "Glass Houses" by Louise Penny.  Liked it very much, one of the best in the series (a little confusing, for me at least, going back and forth in time).  Also finished "Enemy Of The State" - it was very very good.  Kyle Mills is doing a great job continuing what Vince Flynn had started.

Now in the middle of "The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye."  Am enjoying it very much.  Continuing the Lisbeth Salander story.  Finding more about her past.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finished Exit West (Mohsin Hamid), a finalist for the 2017 Man Booker Prize.  It seems the critics and I part company often these days.  It puts a human face on the plight of refugees and I did sympathize with much of the story.  But the magic doors moving immigrants from place to place was too gimmicky for me.  I think it's a worthwhile read, but not worthy of a prize.

I also read A Distant View of Everything.   Even though the story was pretty simple, and I think that's typical of the Isabel Dalhousie series, I love her random, philosophical ramblings.  I enjoyed it, actually more than the last couple of books in the series.   

And I finished Two Graves (the 12th Agent Pendergast).  Thank goodness the Helen Trilogy is over!  How can I love the writing so much and hate the story line?

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline - I just started "MAGPIE MURDER" and I saw what you mentioned on the September thread, about there being a tv series based on the Atticus Pund character. Before the Atticus Pund book starts, there is a page of fake blurbs, praising the author for his wonderful books.  (Although the page is not numbered, it is 4 pages after Page 4 in the very first section)  At the bottom of this page, it says "SOON TO BE A  MAJOR BBC1 TELEVISION SERIES."  But, since all the author blurbs are fake, I imagine that the tv series is fake as well.  It does look very convincing though!  And who knows, they may pick up this idea and run with it in the future!

Respected Contributor

@appm wrote:

Now in the middle of "The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye."  Am enjoying it very much.  Continuing the Lisbeth Salander story.  Finding more about her past.

@appm  I'm on hold for The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye.  Glad you're enjoying it.  I'm looking forward to getting it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ohio St8 wrote:

The Cuban Affair by Nelson DeMille. The book is intense but DeMille inserts his sense of humor, which I love.

@Ohio St8- I just started The Cuban Affair this morning as well!  I haven't gotten very far but just enough to think I'm going to enjoy this a lot.

Nelson DeMille is one of my VERY favorite authors!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Murder On Halloween by Steve Demaree. I love this cozy mystery series.

Turkey Trot Mystery ( A Lucy Stone cozy)

Wagging Through The Snow Melanie Travis Cozy mystery

These are the three I have loaded up and ready to go on my Kindle. I love all three of these series.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I just started Steve Demaree's 13th Dekker series book, Murder on Halloween.

I loe that series and I have it loaded up ready to read next as soon as I finish Turkey Trot Murder.