Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~~ NOVEMBER, 2017

The Rooster Bar by John Grisham

Easy read fiction about 3 law school dropouts. 

Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

Well @sunala@Judaline, and @LoriLori, I finished Reliable Wife about a week ago. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read and had some redeeming qualities. Maybe because I was truly prepared for awful! I'd give it three stars.

That must have been it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears wrote:

@beckyb1012 I just picked up Exposed yesterday, give me a couple weeks to read it, tons of books ahead of it, had to take a break from reading today, my eyes are burning they are so tired today!

@CareBears I understand and only just this morning got into it.  I took it to Jury Duty Monday but only got one chapter read.  I was there for a murder trial from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and still did not make the final twelve.  My migraine was so bad I did not want to read again until today.  So far so good with the book.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Frequent Contributor

THE BOOK OF BRIGHT IDEAS  by Sandra Kring     Fiction

I loved this book!!!  It is not necessarily beautiful and descriptive writing, but is so true to life and written well.  The characters come to life!  I felt as though I knew each one of them.  The year 1961 in a small town.  Two sisters move to town, one is in her twenties and the other a little girl, who carries a book around in which to write down bright ideas.  She also carries with her every where she goes, an urn with her mother's ashes inside.  Another little girl, Button, lives nearby and they soon become best friends.  The big sister, in her twenties, becomes the town's hussy.  Button's aunt is someone who makes everyone feel welcomed and loved.  Uncle Rudy, is full of wisdom and stories.  Button's mother is somewhat frigid and uptight and her father is of few words.  Then something happens and the story takes an unusual turn, making this a summer all will remember. Hard to put this book down.  So full of reality and nostalgia.  I was able to buy it on Amazon for $1.99 on my kindle.

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN  by Betty Smith  Fiction 

Decided to read this because it is a classic.  Well written and tells the story of how life was among the poor in the early 1900's.  

WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES  by Georgia Hunter  Inspired by a true story.

This book took me (on my Kindle) 7% of reading to get into.  I am glad I did not give up. It is becoming my favorite and is rated with 5 stars with over 500 reviews on Amazon.  The book is about a Jewish family who is separated during WWII.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tobe I too enjoyed "The book of Bright Ideas" I have also read the other 2 and loved them as well!  You have had some good reads recently!

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished '"The Best of Us" by "Sarah Pekkanen" I picked this one as I need to be taken away to a  far off place where I could imagine myself being pampered with beautiful surroundings everywhere I turned, with scrumptious food prepared by a chef and good friends , here is the breakdown from Amazon:  An all-expense-paid week at a luxury villa in Jamaica—it’s the invitation of a lifetime for a group of old college friends. All four women are desperate not just for a reunion, but for an escape: Tina is drowning under the demands of mothering four young children. Allie is shattered by the news that a genetic illness runs in her family. Savannah is carrying the secret of her husband's infidelity. And, finally, there's Pauline, who spares no expense to throw her wealthy husband an unforgettable thirty-fifth birthday celebration, hoping it will gloss over the cracks already splitting apart their new marriage. 

Languid hours on a private beach, gourmet dinners, and late nights of drinking kick off an idyllic week for the women and their husbands. But as a powerful hurricane bears down on the island, turmoil swirls inside the villa, forcing each of the women to reevaluate everything she knows about her friends—and herself.

I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did, but it actually helped me to envision myself in Jamaica sitting on the beach reading with the ocean sitting in front of me, exactly what I needed after cold temperatures and snow have reached into our area it was a relaxing day of reading, with a cup of coffee and no interruptions, my perfect kind of day!

Esteemed Contributor

@joammi wrote:

I am an avid reader and have been reading these posts for several months and decided to join in the fun. My favorite genre is historical fiction but also enjoy occasional non-fiction as well as mystery and general fiction. I am at this time addicted to reading Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series. I am on #7 and will be disappointed when I have completed the series.  Such wonderful characters and interesting plots.  Time to get back to my story. 

@joammi- Welcome to our book discussions! I hope you will enjoy our likes, dislikes, and recommendations. If you can, go back to the October thread and read about all the books we loved, and others that we hated.

Please post again and let us know your favorites!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@CareBears Wasn't it so good? I wasn't expecting to like it that much either, but I think I needed a break from Mystery/Thrillers and I love this author. She is also the author of another really good book I just read called he Wife Between us, she co-wrote it........I enjoyed reading about them being pampered and the beach and sun as well, plus I liked the characters.....Glad you enjoyed it too!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN I have the Wife Between us on hold, I too need a break from thrillers, started another beach read this morning

Honored Contributor

@CareBears Which one are you starting? Just curious! I will probably need another break from Thrillers again soon too! lol!