Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? JANUARY 2018 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished The Alice Network (Kate Quinn).  I've never been a fan of an author telling two different stories that take place in alternating chapters.  This book is no exception.  The Eve chapters (where she is a WW1 spy in 1914) were very good.  The Charlie chapters (that take place in 1947) seemed contrived to me and basically a way to make the two stories mesh.   Overall, I thought it was just so-so. 

The same with me, smoky. One exception. Letters to the Lost by Iona Grey. I loved this book. Yep it's back and forth to WWll times, but it wasn't irritating like most. And both ends are good, the here and the there if you know what I mean. I have been waiting patiently for her next book but have just about given up hope for a second novel. If you read it, be aware-there are two books by this name. BTW, I don't recall the two stories being told in alternating chapters-don't think so.

Valued Contributor

Lethal by Sandra Brown. Happy New Year All!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

TWO SISTERS  Kerry Wilkinson

THE PARIS SECRET  Karen Swan

LIE TO ME  J.T. Ellison

If anyone read or reads Lie To Me I would love your take on the last two paragraphs of the book.

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

Attention Psychological Thriller fans;  I just finished the below book.  I really liked it!  This is a first-time author, was curious about the social media aspect as I don’t do Facebook, etc.  It really took off 70% through.   

3A572C2A-667B-4529-9111-02A7707A57D1.jpeg

@BornToShop

Are you saying that you were not into the book until you were about 70% through it. The book sounds interesting, but if it takes that long to become interesting I would never last. LOL.

Valued Contributor

I read THE ROANOKE GIRLS, by Amy Engel, loved it! I think I saw a lot of likes for this book here. The subject matter Was handled nicely .Had a lot of twists and turns, and read between the lines. The other book I finished was THE BREAKDOWN, by B.A. Paris, loved this one too! Liked  her first book better,can’t wait for Ron Howard’s  movie to come out. This one does a great job writing about breaking down and revenge. Plot was great interesting characters and interesting. Great read.

Esteemed Contributor

Update:  I just finished this one, I do like Heather Graham as an author and this one did not dissapoint, onto Wicked by Heather Graham here is the run down from Amazon:

Eager to start their life together, historian Vickie Preston and Special Agent Griffin Pryce take a detour en route to their new home in Virginia and stop for a visit in Baltimore. But their romantic weekend is interrupted when a popular author is found dead in the basement of an Edgar Allan Poe—themed restaurant. Because of the mysterious circumstances surrounding the corpse, the FBI’s Krewe of Hunters paranormal team is invited to investigate. As more bizarre deaths occur, Vickie and Griffin are drawn into a case that has disturbing echoes of Poe’s great works, bringing the horrors of his fiction to life.

The restaurant is headquarters to scholars and fans, and any of them could be a merciless killer. Except there’s also something reaching out from beyond the grave. The late, great Edgar Allan Poe himself is appearing to Vickie in dreams and visions with cryptic information about the murders. Unless they can uncover whose twisted mind is orchestrating the dramatic re-creations, Vickie and Griffin’s future as a couple might never begin…

Since the weather is so bitterly cold I plan on staying in and reading this weekend, I have 2 more books due by the 10th, so I better get going!

Esteemed Contributor

I am reading the last book in the Peyton Brooks FBI series (and the last book in both series), and it is Haunts in Bodie.  It is based in Bodie, California, which is on the National Register of Historic Places,  It is a ghost town and some think that the town is haunted.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I am halfway through Nelson DeMille ‘s Up Country.  I am about 350 pages in.  It is a slow burn and I am enjoying it.  A little too much detail in some spots but a solid read so far.  Good character development.  LM

@Lilysmom- I'm a huge Nelson DeMille fan, but this was one of the few books of his that I couldn't get into and therefore didn't read. A few are very old, and haven't been able to get my hands on them. Otherwise, I absolutely adore his books!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala, I have about 100 pages left.  This is the book that kept me company during our recent power outage.  There continue to be surprises along the way and that¡s a good thing.  I know I have read him before but will have to do a title check.  I will definitely read more.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just ptb on Murder So Right by Ted Clifton.  Gave up at page 125 which is more than I usually would give a book.  Have to say it's the first book that I've won that I did so.  I wanted to read something different and this was that book. Here is my review:

I'm not a big reader of politics or newspapers and probably this is the first I've read one on this subject. Really not sure why I wanted to read this type of book and I guess I thought it would be something totally different from my usual type of read. It is set in the 1960s and there's no indication of that unless you read the chapter titles.

Too many other books I want to read.  Onto Shadow Child by Rahna Reiko Rizzuto, a GR win.