Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? FEBRUARY 2020

@Judaline   thank you and please give my very best to Snow.   Here's the update on my health (spoiler alert, not a happy one LOL) and don't want to take up space on my favorite forum so put it in this box:

Spoiler
My cold is, shocker, getting worse.  I'm so tired of this.  I've been anemic for years but it's been bad for a year or so and I was supposed to get IV iron weekly six weeks on and then a break and then more....even with a mask they won't let Typhoid Lori in the chemo rooms and you know what, I get it.  I totally support the decision, in fact it had occurred to me too.  I have 27 other diseases anyway so why put the cancer patients at risk.  It all started with a month-long cold in November and achoo, here I am again...<3 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Wish you could come here and have your pick of brand-new books in perfect condition, all covers cleaned with Lysol and even the ones in my lingerie drawer are spotless Smiley Happy

Re The Stand:  I remember reading it -- and @icezeus , this is for you and everyone else -- and thinking two things:

1.  OMG this man is such a genius he's predicted the AIDS epidemic

and

2.  Will this book never end?  Will I die still reading it?  

(And if I recall, I was reading the short version, a mere 800-something pages, not the over a thousand!!!!  The "short" cough cough one came first, right?)  

I can't even watch the miniseries.  The material is brilliant, it's prescient like Mother Whatever in the book (and even more relevant with coronavirus now, as it gets relevant with each new epidemic) but I know the story...

...and have no interest in revisiting reading that brilliant book that with any less profitable author would have been cut in half and be better.

Honored Contributor

I have a three Kindles (various ages) and Kindle apps on Laptop, Android and iPhone.  Each Kindle or App holds different genre.

My original Kindle (pre-paperwhite) is the one that I generally carry around with me and I keep "fun" stuff on there to read while I'm waiting for something / someplace / someone / or somwhere eating alone.   Something to entertain me for a rather short span of time.

I recently downloaded "The Big, Bad  Book of Beasts: The World's Most Curious Creatures"  by Michael Largo.

I just started reading it this morning when I stopped for coffee and a bagel (with scallion cream cheese) after my physcal therapy session.  I walk right by both Dunkin Donuts on one corner and the Bagel Shop on the other corner ... and it's impossible for me to NOT stop at one or the other on the way home from PT.  

Here's a bit of the Amazon blurb:

------------------------------------

The world's wildest collection of animal knowledge and lore!

Lions, and tigers, and bears . . . and dinosaurs, dragons, and monsters. Oh my!

For hundreds of years, the most popular books in the Western world next to the Bible were "bestiaries," fanciful encyclopedias collecting all of human knowledge and mythology about the animal kingdom. In these pages, eagles and elephants lived next to griffins and sea monsters. Now, in The Big, Bad Book of Beasts, award-winning author Michael Largo has updated the medieval bestsellers for the twenty-first century, illuminating little-known facts, astonishing secrets, and bizarre superstitions about the beasts that inhabit our world—and haunt our imaginations.

----------------------------------------------------

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline   thank you and please give my very best to Snow.   Here's the update on my health (spoiler alert, not a happy one LOL) and don't want to take up space on my favorite forum so put it in this box:

Spoiler
My cold is, shocker, getting worse.  I'm so tired of this.  I've been anemic for years but it's been bad for a year or so and I was supposed to get IV iron weekly six weeks on and then a break and then more....even with a mask they won't let Typhoid Lori in the chemo rooms and you know what, I get it.  I totally support the decision, in fact it had occurred to me too.  I have 27 other diseases anyway so why put the cancer patients at risk.  It all started with a month-long cold in November and achoo, here I am again...<3 

@LoriLori  that sounds dreadful, but I think you can outfox this, even tho I'm not sure what all it entails. Do you have the very best doctor? Does he know what he's doing? OK, then you can do this because I know you. You hate that it's cramping your style, right? Aha, I knew it. It's keeping you from doing important stuff. Like coming here every day and stuff like that. 

Seriously, GF, (and I was half serious) I will pray for you and I'll be thinking about you and looking for your posts. Hang in there. Easy for me to say I know. But that's what I'm hoping you will do. What's that old saying, 'show 'em what your made of??' Yeah, that's it. Show 'em what you're made of.

Esteemed Contributor

Just finished The Rumor by Lesley Kara kept me at the edge of my seat especially at the end!  A wonderful book, and a fast read!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

(sorry to post so much at a time but I just don't get here enough)

Where's Flavia?  He said there's going to be #11.  I realized the other day that this is the first January in a long time we haven't had a new Flavia.  Boo! 

Won't post spoilers in case people are starting at the beginning of this super fun cozy series but so looking forward to more story about her latest...Thing.

@LoriLori 

I read the following article that was written a year ago.  Sorry, I can't tell if it's a link.  He said he had a 10 book commitment and he finds each new book difficult to write.  He indicated he and Flavia are at least taking a break.  There is speculation that there will not be an 11th book. I guess we'll see. 

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/2019/01/25/to-alan-bradley-flavia-is-very-much-real.html

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori , I read your spoiler and I hope you see some relief from the cold soon.  You have a lot on your plate so you need to take care.  

Great review on The Stand. 

Spoiler
I am only about 200 pages in and I am wondering when everyone is going to stop keeling over.

I can't believe I never started reading him until the Mr. Mercedes trilogy.  The horror stuff is not to my liking but man, he can tell a story.  I think I read The Outsider in three days and it was 800 pages.  DH and I are watching the TV series now and it is very well done.  True to the book, great acting.  You should put that on your list.  I am streaming it so not sure what network it airs on,

Spring is just around the corner @LoriLori.  I don't know about you, but I am ready to see March roll in!  LM

Super Contributor

Continuing reading translated works.

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi.  (non-fiction graphic novel translated from French).  

Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming by Laszlo Krasznahorakai (fiction translated from Hungarian).  This is a huge book.  The only issue so far is the font is teeny weeny so it's going to take me a while.  

Trusted Contributor

I just finished Recipe for the Perfect Wife by Karma Brown and I really enjoyed it! I wasn't expecting much when I started it but it gripped me right from the start! 5 stars (IMO)
Esteemed Contributor

Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchinson (2.5 Stars) 

Not for everyone due to the subject matter.

Sunset Beach by Mary Kay Andrews (3 Stars)

Easy to read family drama turned into mystery/thriller and love story. Good summer-type novel with nice character development.

Money screams; wealth whispers.