Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING? ~APRIL 2018~

Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and Welcome April!

I just finished  Vardin Homecoming, A Small Town Mystery, by Maggie Spence.  It is the story of a group of young adults who are from the small town of Vardin and who went through school together.  When they were seniors in high school, one of their classmates was murdered on homecoming weekend.  They saw the body, but they did not call the police nor did they volunteer any information.  Most of the group was concerned about how finding the body would affect their future.  The story is how they come together and help to find the murderer of their classmate after eight years.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

This is usually not my kind of book ,but I felt like something different .THE DRESS IN THE WINDOW, by Sofia Grant. . I liked it a ot about three women towards the end of  the war and their needs and the secrets that come out and fashion plays a big part in it . I did love it gave it five stars

Frequent Contributor

THE GREAT ALONE by Kristin Hannah

This book is a fiction, but seems all too real at times.  The family moves to Alaska, not knowing anything about the means of living off the land.  They soon learn, sometimes the hard way.  But, for the wife and daughter, survival also means coping with an abusive husband and father.  Although I hated this book, I was compelled to keep reading.  It is well written and easy to read physically, but emotionally is hard.  One plus for me is that the characters seemed real, almost like I knew them.  It is strange that I kept reading something I didn't like.  I just kept hoping. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBearswrote:

@beckyb1012 Another one in my Wishlist, looking forward to your thoughts.

I lasted posted about Alternate Side so I think that must be the one you are referring too @CareBears.  I love Anna Quindlan and started first thing the next am on my bike but could not get into it after 100 pages while riding.  So put it aside to start again on the couch and now engrossed and back on track reading and riding and as usual Anna is making the time fly for me.

Also read this weekend:

The Afterlives, by Thomas Pierce;

Stranger In The House, by Shari Lapena 

Excellent book  if you have not read yet @CANDLEQUEEN

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
New Contributor

I recently read The Great Alone and loved it...The story is great and her descriptions of the Alaskan countryside were great.. I had to put a sweater on every time i read the book.

Honored Contributor

"Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders which has been sitting on my shelf awhile.  So far, fascinating and very creative, I can see why it won awards, but it's sooooo depressing.

Respected Contributor

I’LL BE YOUR BLUE SKY by MARISA DE LOS SANTOS; I just finished this outstanding book in a day!  Loved how the author weaved this story to bring it home at the ending!  A little bit of romance, a little bit of mystery,I promise you will love this book!  I have never read this author but this book is amazing!!

Esteemed Contributor

It looks like I'm the third one in this thread to have recently read The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I loved it. The author is definitely one of my favorites. Her books never leave me disappointed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished listening to Tangerine by Christine Mangan. A young bride is overwhelmed by her recent move to Tangiers - a place where her husband thrives while she stays hidden in her apartment.  Then, one day, an estranged college friend shows up at her door and hilarity ensues.  Or not - this is yet another psychological thriller.

I was really looking forward to this book - 1950's Morrocco, right before their independence.  The reviews throw around words like "atmospheric".  And, maybe it was because I was listening rather than reading, but I just didn't feel like I was there (and I've recently traveled to India, Alaska and the Australian rainforests through my recent audible "journeys", so it's not me!)  As far as the story itself...I couldn't recommend.  It was just "meh" to me.  Unfortunately, for this kind of book, that's all I can say about it.

BUT...

I have to wonder why/how all these first time authors are getting these movie deals??  This particular book is optioned by George Clooney's production company with Scarlett Johannson scheduled to star.  I would probably go so far as to say to wait for the movie and, even then, check what your favorite reviewer has to say about it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ctrlaltdeletewrote:

I recently read The Great Alone and loved it...The story is great and her descriptions of the Alaskan countryside were great.. I had to put a sweater on every time i read the book.

hi @ctrlaltdelete - welcome to the book discussion board! I hope you'll continue to contribute the books you're reading as well as commenting on the books that are being discussed.

I'm looking forward to reading The Great Alone. I can't wait to get it!

Welcome and hope to see you again!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett