Valued Contributor

If you have read King's 11/22/63, you might be interested in the Hulu version: hulu 11/22/63

The past two Saturday's, I saw all the movies nominated for best picture.

I thought that Room and Brooklyn remained faithful to the novels.

However, The Revenant created new characters as well as an alternate ending. I am a firm believer that the movie is never as good as the book, but I've never been this disappointed in a movie.

I don't subscribe to Hulu.  Perhaps someone who had read King's book and seen the screen adaptation will give us a critique?

Honored Contributor

They are releasing 11/22/63 one week at a time and I've only seen the first episode, so far. 

I enjoyed the first episode. I feel like there have been some changes, but the first episode mostly stuck to the book. It's been a few years since I've read the book, so I can't remember all the details. 

Spoiler
He went back and stayed back in time faster than in the book and the diner owner died almost immediately after Jake went through and learned the story. I thought he was around longer and had more time to explain things, but I understand that they had to get Jake through the portal and into the timeline in the first episode to hook viewers.

I have never been a big James Franco fan and normally he drives me crazy (in a bad way, not the good way), but I think he's doing a great job as Jake and so far he hasn't annoyed me. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I have never been a big James Franco fan and normally he drives me crazy (in a bad way, not the good way), but I think he's doing a great job as Jake and so far he hasn't annoyed me. Smiley Happy

@ChynnaBlue  LOL!  I know what you mean about James Franco.  I just can't figure out what it is that bothers me about him.

It's also been a few years since I have read the book.  I am sending it to my cousin who is recovering from surgery.  Hope he enjoys it as I did.

Esteemed Contributor

@pateacher@ChynnaBlue, I loved 11/22/63!  Thanks for posting.  LM

Trusted Contributor

We've just begun watching it..saw the first episode last night...Its really well done and....DH loves the cars as we have a 55 Chevy...lol....

So far its following the book very closely....DW

Trusted Contributor

Re: Stephen King's 11/22/63

[ Edited ]

The book is VERY good.  I can't believe I flew thru it.  It really is a love story.  I saw the first installment on Hulu and it seems like it just barely follows the book.  But you reviewers all seem to like it, so I'll give it a go.  From what I saw, Franco is very "low key" in this.

Trusted Contributor

We watched the second and third episodes last night and its veered away from the book...its still very good though and is holding our interest...DW

Super Contributor

Is the telecast available anywhere besides Hulu?  I'm not a subscriber.

All in all, I liked the book.  Thought it was waaaaay too long, though.  I have been a big King fan for decades, but does anybody edit his work any more?

Esteemed Contributor

I have to admit that 11/22/63 was just about my favorite Stephen King book, and I've read almost all of them. To choose a favorite is really hard, considering The Shining, Misery, 'salem's Lot, Lost and Found, Cujo, and the latest Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers etc etc etc, but 11/22/63 was so good, when the book ended I actually went back and read the last few chapters over again, and after I did that, I wanted to go back to page one and reread the entire book! That has never happened to me with any book I've ever read except this one. 

Now my problem is that I don't have Hulu either. I thought I'd wait until the series was over, and then join for their free month and binge watch the whole series.

Can anyone tell me if the series has ended? And, what did you think of the series? I've heard a few people say they loved it.

Thanks in advance,

Sunny

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

11/22/63 is my favorit Stephen King book, too.  Very different, yet still true to Stephen King.  Reading it again appeals to me, too.  Very few books I would read again, but this is one.  I have read the Outlander series many times.  I'd like to read Atlas Shrugged again, too.