Esteemed Contributor

***SPOILER ALERT*** The Nature of the Beast, Louise Penny

Has anyone read this?  I am interested in your review on the book.  I am especially interested in your comments if you have read her other books.  I finished it today.  LM

Frequent Contributor

Re: ***SPOILER ALERT*** The Nature of the Beast, Louise Penny

I read it and have read the rest of the series too, it's a favorite of mine.  I really enjoyed this latest book BUT...(don't read on if you don't want any hints)

It's a tribute to the power of Louise Penny's writing that she got me to read a book that has a couple of elements I usually avoid in my pleasure reading.  She also put *things* in my head that I wish were not there.  I hope the series does not continue with one of the newly introduced characters; I don't want to read any more about this person.  I'm glad I read the book and as I say I did enjoy it and raced through it in two sittings but it was out of my comfort zone.

Esteemed Contributor

@coldlake, thanks for your reply.  I just finished this today.

First, Louise Penny is Canadian and so am I so I admit a bias in her favor for that reason.  When she writes about Canadian places like the Eastern Townships of Quebec and the Lower North Shore. I know these places and have been there.  For that reason and others, her books resonate with me.

I have found her last couple of books not as good as her first ones.  With this one, The Nature of the Beast, I found some of the background information boring but I understand that, for this to be read as a stand alone story, the background on Gamache et al is necessary to those unfamiliar with the series.

I didn't really think the book was very good until the last one third and then the pace picked up when they were against the clock.  I didn't know who the murderer was until it was revealed.  I also thought her depiction of the evil incarnate in the villain was good.  To me, this last third of the book was the Louise Penny of earlier books I had come to love.  Her character development skills came alive in the last 100 pages.

To sum up, if this was the first book I had read by Louise Penny without having read the others, I don't know if I would be eagerly waiting for her next book.  I used to be impatient to see the next book.  Now not so much.  

I wonder if it is time for her to give retired Chief Inspector Gamache and his fellow characters a break and try something new.  It must be difficult to continue to weave a good story out of the same characters time after time.  Her ability to set the contrast between good and evil through her characters is wonderful.  She can have a way to get right into your head.  I hope she tries something different soon.

Would be be interested to hear your views coldlake, and others, on my comments.  

Happy reading!  LM

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@coldlake, thanks for your reply.  I just finished this today.

First, Louise Penny is Canadian and so am I so I admit a bias in her favor for that reason.  When she writes about Canadian places like the Eastern Townships of Quebec and the Lower North Shore. I know these places and have been there.  For that reason and others, her books resonate with me.

I have found her last couple of books not as good as her first ones.  With this one, The Nature of the Beast, I found some of the background information boring but I understand that, for this to be read as a stand alone story, the background on Gamache et al is necessary to those unfamiliar with the series.

I didn't really think the book was very good until the last one third and then the pace picked up when they were against the clock.  I didn't know who the murderer was until it was revealed.  I also thought her depiction of the evil incarnate in the villain was good.  To me, this last third of the book was the Louise Penny of earlier books I had come to love.  Her character development skills came alive in the last 100 pages.

To sum up, if this was the first book I had read by Louise Penny without having read the others, I don't know if I would be eagerly waiting for her next book.  I used to be impatient to see the next book.  Now not so much.  

I wonder if it is time for her to give retired Chief Inspector Gamache and his fellow characters a break and try something new.  It must be difficult to continue to weave a good story out of the same characters time after time.  Her ability to set the contrast between good and evil through her characters is wonderful.  She can have a way to get right into your head.  I hope she tries something different soon.

Would be be interested to hear your views coldlake, and others, on my comments.  

Happy reading!  LM

I think Penny left the door open for Gamache and his wife to return to careers in The Nature of the Beast.  I agree that Gamache needs something new.

I did think that Beauvoir and Lacoste seem to be making themselves, despite their deference to their former boss, stronger characters. I doubt, however, that they will ever steal the spotlight from Armand.

I look forward to the books because I feel a kinship  and comfort

with the characters from Three Pines.  I am very eclectic in my reading; every so often I enjoy a light read.  The residents of Three Pines never fail to amuse and/or pique my curiosity, especially Ruth!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pateacher@coldlake, maybe that's it ... Gamache and Reine Marie should leave the series for awhile to let LaCoste and Beauvoir establish themselves as the main characters.

I agree on Ruth and Rosa. Delightful. I really like Clara as well. Louise Penny's character development skills are what keeps me coming back.

I will be interested to hear other comments on the book. LM

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 48% of the way through and am enjoying the book so far - better than her last. I still really dislike Jean Guy and hate that he married the boss' daughter (especially when she was so happily married to another man in the prior book.)

Anyways - a question and a comment -

Question - does Canada really do those secret trials where one person stands for all of Canada's citizens?

Comment - I find it to be a big flaw in her books that Three Pines is still so hard to find. Don't know if it means anything yet in this book, but she uses it as a plot point in her books. The CSIS agents didn't get lost, for example. But, when your sleepy hamlet is the murder capital of Canada (I joke, but they've had high profile deaths) and you have two of the best artists in all of Canada living there, it's going to make it on the Internet! But, regardless of that point, there is also that expensive spa that opened that should have step by step instructions on how to get there posted on their website!! Just not realistic any more.
Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
I'm 48% of the way through and am enjoying the book so far - better than her last. I still really dislike Jean Guy and hate that he married the boss' daughter (especially when she was so happily married to another man in the prior book.)

Anyways - a question and a comment -

Question - does Canada really do those secret trials where one person stands for all of Canada's citizens?

Comment - I find it to be a big flaw in her books that Three Pines is still so hard to find. Don't know if it means anything yet in this book, but she uses it as a plot point in her books. The CSIS agents didn't get lost, for example. But, when your sleepy hamlet is the murder capital of Canada (I joke, but they've had high profile deaths) and you have two of the best artists in all of Canada living there, it's going to make it on the Internet! But, regardless of that point, there is also that expensive spa that opened that should have step by step instructions on how to get there posted on their website!! Just not realistic any more.

@Alter Ego, as far as I know, there are no secret trials in Canada where one person represents all Canadians but, then, I'm not a lawyer.  I know that trials can have sessions in camera but I have never heard of secret trials.

Three Pines is a place in Louise Penny's imagination.  She draws on different places in Quebec for flavor.  Some of her novels are actually set in real places where I have visited over the years.  I attended an executive management program at a university in the Eastern Townships near North Hatley.  It is about two hours from Montreal.  I have also been to the Lower North Shore which she uses in the novel about Clara's husband Peter.  Some of these areas are pretty remote, especially in winter.

See the excerpt below to hear her explanation on location.  HTH.  LM

By JANE ANN MORRISONLAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
After reading seven Louise Penny mysteries set in the province of Quebec, it seemed the right time to look for the tiny village of Three Pines, where murder, as one character says, is a cottage industry.

Penny, an award-winning and best-selling writer, captured me early on in "Still Life," her first book, when she described Three Pines. "The only reason doors were locked was to prevent neighbors from dropping off baskets of zucchini at harvest time," she wrote.

Her fans responded to both the setting and the protagonist, Armand Gamache, head of homicide at the Surete du Quebec, the law enforcement agency for the province's rural areas. In the books, Three Pines is just north of the Vermont border in the Eastern Townships, not too far east of Montreal.

Unfortunately, Three Pines doesn't actually exist, yet we searched for a village that might have sparked Penny's imagination, a village with the characteristics of Three Pines. Quirky. Loving. Colorful. Filled with multilayered characters who make us laugh as well as think.

Three Pines is a state of mind, Penny said.

"For me, the state of mind is that I live in Three Pines when I choose to be kind. When I choose to be compassionate, when I choose patience over being snippy," she said. "But when I'm mean, mean-spirited, gossip - and I do all these things - when I'm impatient, that's when I expel myself from paradise."

Her hero, Gamache, constantly deals with murder, yet his most important attributes are his kindness and his listening skills.

Physically, Penny said, he's modeled on a tailor in Granby. But his qualities and character are modeled on her husband of 16 years, Dr. Michael Whitehead, a retired pediatric hematologist, a man you wouldn't meet professionally unless your child is desperately ill.

Penny said, like her husband, "Gamache understands perfectly well how cruel the world is. He has evidence of it every day. The reason he is kind is because he chooses to be kind. He stands in the light because he knows where the darkness is."

So does she.

Now 54, the former journalist and radio host was an alcoholic between the ages of 21 and 35.

Her husband, 78, "knows what a gift life is. And that's what he shares with Gamache and that's what I share with Gamache. I came to the edge of suicide because of drinking, and I know what despair is."

In "A Trick of the Light" she wrote about the addiction she knows so well and the loneliness that accompanied it. "For me, it was just a slow, quiet rotting away from the inside," she said.

She doesn't blame her past drinking problem on the stress of her job covering hard news and current affairs. "This would have happened to me had I been working as a clown in the circus," she said.

She shared all this ensconced in the cozy library of Hovey Manor in North Hatley, one of the villages that suggest a fragment of Three Pines with its general store. Nearby in Georgeville is another general store that is reminiscent of the one in Three Pines. And we found the model for the foreboding Hadley house, where many bad things happened, except after being painted pink, it no longer looked sinister.

While we didn't find Three Pines, we did find three real places that one can visit and know for sure that these are places Penny writes about with such panache.

First was Hovey Manor, the prototype of Manoir Bellechasse, the setting of Penny's fifth book, "A Rule Against Murder." It's the first book to abandon the security of Three Pines for the majority of the book.

Built in 1898 as a summer home for a rich Southerner, this boutique inn featured in "1,000 Places to See Before You Die," is in North Hatley about 100 miles outside of Montreal. Guests have included Sir Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman, and it's deservedly praised for the outstanding food. This luxury inn built to resemble Mount Vernon is a place to play and be pampered, but it's an expensive splurge. However, the price includes superb breakfasts and dinners.

Perched on the shore of Lake Massawippi, Hovey Manor (www.manoirhovey.com) offers water sports as well as romantic settings, catering to families as well as couples.

Penny discovered it in 1987, shortly after moving to Quebec, after a boss recommended it. She was single and went alone and returned once or twice a year before and since her marriage. "Over the years, we've probably stayed in every room here," she said.

With many hotels and inns in the Eastern Townships, why is Hovey Manor her favorite? "I lost my heart; I didn't need to look anywhere else," she said.

My friend and I stayed there two nights, exploring the Eastern Townships in the daytime and returning for quality time plunked on Adirondack chairs, watching the light change over the lake, imagining Gamache and his wife celebrating every anniversary there, and imagining murder in the garden.

Our second sample of Penny reality was a visit to the nearby Abbey of Saint-Benoit-du-Lac. The Benedictine abbey near Lake Memphremagog is the inspiration for the abbey in her newest book, "The Beautiful Mystery," due out Aug. 28 However, Penny created her own order of monks, even her own rituals, to give herself leeway and not offend the monks who shared their way of life with her.

"The Beautiful Mystery" is the first Penny book without any Three Pines characters, just Gamache and his second-in-command, Jean-Guy Beauvoir, investigating a murder in a monastery among monks who don't speak but sing Gregorian chants. Her eighth book published since 2005, it uses the abbey setting to address the subject of tyranny.

The real abbey is open to visitors and a worthy stop in the Eastern Townships. We counted ourselves fortunate to be there for 5 p.m. vespers, and we left with the monks' famous cheese.

The publication of Penny's new book is likely to bring the abbey more attention, but in her book she revives an extinct order of monks so as not to leave the impression the Benedictines would murder their choir director.

Our third dose of Penny reality was in Quebec City, the setting for "Bury Your Dead." She set one of her murders in the basement of the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec.

The Lit and His is the only English library in Quebec City, but it's far more. The basement houses the city's first prison, built more than 200 years ago, and one side of the building has classrooms from the days when the building was Morrin College. Tours of the library, the prison and the college are available and worthwhile. Visit www.morrin.org for more information.

The restaurants and cafes mentioned in "Bury Your Dead" are all real, and the three we sampled were all worth a stop - Le Petit Coin Latin, Cafe Temporal and the Aux Anciens Canadienes, even if the last one is packed with tourists. The waiter there started by asking not what kind of water we preferred, but what language we preferred.

It's easy to communicate in French-speaking Quebec. Even in the villages, most people are bilingual.

A tip about getting there from Las Vegas: It's cheaper to fly into an American airport such as Albany or Plattsburgh in New York than to fly directly using fee-laden Canadian airlines.

The latest news is that Penny's first book is being made into a television movie by Canadian Broadcasting Corp. She is an executive producer. "I'm beginning to suspect it's a little bit like being the queen and that it sounds very good, but you can't declare war on anybody," she joked.

While we drove all over the countryside, including Sutton, where Penny lives in a United Loyalist-style brick cottage, there were places that inspired her that we didn't discover.

In Sutton, a bakery called La Rumeur Affamee in an old brick building was one inspiration. In Knowlton, Brome Lake Books inspired the bookstore in Three Pines.

The one place that doesn't exist in reality: the Three Pines bistro. "It's the one place that really, completely, does not exist. The bistro is absolutely my ideal place," said Penny, whose descriptions of the meals served there, both simple and elaborate, created cravings within.

Her themes include the good (kindness, forgiveness and hope) and the bad (jealousy, alcoholism, greed, discrimination and, now, tyranny). But it's also about commonplace things like losing a pet. She doesn't write jokes, yet I laugh at her lines such as, "Violent death demanded Earl Grey."

Then there's this howler: "Gamache wondered how low the bar was set when all a man had to do to attract a woman was not smell of decomposing bears."

On her website, www.louisepenny.com, she once told readers that if they take away anything from her books, it's this: Goodness exists.

That's what we went looking for on our vacation. And we found it.

Jane Ann Morrison can be reached at jane@reviewjournal.com or (702) 383-0275

Esteemed Contributor

First - thanks to Lilysmom's post. I found it interesting, as I hadn't looked more into the background of the writer. Regardless, I still say that, in the fictitious setting the author has created, I still find it difficult to believe there are not step by step directions posted someplace on the Internet on how to get there. Pretty much any website I go to has a how to get there tab and the spa needs to fill their expensive rooms.

But, my reason to post back here is that I just finished the book. I liked it for the most part; kept me wanting to find out what happens next. Hmmm - I did just realize the mass murderer theme to the story - Al killing those people in Vietnam, the serial killer Fleming, the supergun being a weapon of mass destruction. Even the murderer in the book killed multiple times. But, as I posted in the "what are you reading" thread, the connections strained. Of course Gamache sat on the serial killer's trial. Of course, the serial killer was involved in this supergun construction. Of course, it was constructed in Three Pines. Which, of course, Gamache has made his home. But, it's fiction. So I go along with it. But there is no plausible way I can believe that a former Chief Inspector would, with only hours time, hatch a plan to send a young recruit to a notorious prison to pretty much break out said serial killer. I just cannot believe it, particularly when Gamache knew Fleming gave him a huge clue. This just seemed like the very definition of a "jump the shark" moment. The author made smart people act dumb. I did not like this at all / even though I do see that it sets up a showdown later between Gamache and Fleming. Mark my word, Fleming will escape in a subsequent book and Gamache's wife, daughter or new grand baby will be in peril.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alter Ego, haha yes I agree.  Ganache and Reine Marie need to go on hiatus and then Isabelle needs to whip Beauvoir into shape.  I will still read Louise Penny.  In fact, I love her despite my commentary because she brings geographic places I know to life.  

If you have ever been in Quebec in winter, particularly in the Lower North Shore, you would get exactly what I mean.  Cold, remote, hard to get to and on it goes.  Snow storms galore!

Thanks for the feedback!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I think, for the next book, Gamache takes the job in Haiti and everyone comes down for vacation (even Rosa!)

I've never been to Quebec (only Niagara Falls), but her descriptions are intoxicating! I WANT to go to these places - both real and fictional.