Esteemed Contributor

SEPTEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Well September is upon us and this month we celebrate Labor Day, which honors the American worker.

Soon fall will be here and I personally cannot wait for the cooler temperatures. 

I am currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, and I am thoroughly enjoying the book. 

Please don't be shy. Join us in sharing what you are currently reading, even those books that you wish that you had never turned the first page. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2022 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

OMG Run don't walk and borrow or buy BOYS LIFE by Robert McCammon  (1991).  Big book, but will change your life!

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Things we cannot say by Kelly Rimmer.  I had read The Warsaw Orphan first but I didn't think it took away from the book by not reading them in order.  I enjoyed them both. 

@kekesI'm am ordering  Boys Life from the libray today.  Thanks!

@icezeusThank you for starting this thread every month.  I may not always post but I read it often to find good book ideas.  I appreciate you doing this for all us avid readers.

Honored Contributor

Do yourself a favor and try anything by Rick Bragg, a great southern writer.  " All over but the shout in' " and Ava's man " are good books to start with, you won't be disappointed.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been reading To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer  It is a Historial Romance set in Spencer, Texas in 1887.  The hero is a blacksmith with a dark past.  It's very good.  I love stories about blacksmiths!  

Esteemed Contributor

I wish I was more of an avid reader as some of you are but I try. 

I am currently reading "in a dark, dark wood" by Ruth Ware.  I recently read another one by her called "the lying game".  These are my first books by this author and I like her writing style.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dark Horse, (an Orphan X novel #7), by Gregg Hurwitz.  Evan is back and so is his 16 year old orphan and computer whiz assistant.  This time the person that needs his help is a kingpin drug dealer from South Texas.  This "independent" criminal has had his daughter kidnapped right under his nose at her 18th birthday party.  The kidnapper is one of the most deadliest Cartels in Mexico.  Evan tells Aragon he will help him get her back but he will ask this man to do things he will not like or want to do.  The first is to set ablaze 160 million dollars worth of drugs just delivered over the border into Texas.  How much is your daughter's life worth?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Travone wrote:

Just finished The Things we cannot say by Kelly Rimmer.  I had read The Warsaw Orphan first but I didn't think it took away from the book by not reading them in order.  I enjoyed them both. 

@kekesI'm am ordering  Boys Life from the libray today.  Thanks!

@icezeusThank you for starting this thread every month.  I may not always post but I read it often to find good book ideas.  I appreciate you doing this for all us avid readers.

@Travone 

You are welcome! Left to my own devices I would be stuck pretty much reading the same group of authors. I have found so many other books and authors to enjoy from the readers that post and share on this thread. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @icezeus  for keeping this thread going each month.

So many good books to learn about.

I was finally ready to read Where The Crawdads Sing last week and then I couldn't find my copy. I guess it will turn up when it's ready to be read.

I read The Match by Harlan Coben. It was a continuation of the story of a newer character that he introduced called Wilde who was found in the woods alone as a boy.

I also read The Magic of Lemon Drop Pie by Rachel Linden. This was a Goodreads win about a woman who had disappointments in her life and was afraid to move forward. She was given three chances to view the road not taken which gave her the courage to move forward in her life.

I enjoyed this book-there was some magical realism so you have to be able to accept that premise to fully engage.

The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop by Fanny Flagg was next. I enjoyed catching up with some characters from the original Fried Green Tomatoes.

Lastly I read Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeny this was a domestic thriller that left me scratching my head at the end. I guess I was so obtuse I didn't pick up what the twist meant. lol

I had to consult Google.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I managed to wrap up, Where the crawdads sing by Delia Owens.

I am so glad that I finally gave this book a chance and decided to read. I experience so many emotions while reading. Sorrow, anger,  awe, relief, and Joy just to name a few.

I rated the book 4/5 on Goodreads, and out of all of the books that I have read this year I would place this book as number two right behind. Finding Me by Viola Davis.

Definitely worth reading for those who might have been on the fence like myself for the last few years.