Respected Contributor

Please post suggestions for this summer's reading.  

I generally enjoy family sagas, biographies, some fiction.  Even though I usually don't like series, I did read the Outlander books.  Even stranger, I do not enjoy science fiction or time travel books, but liked Outlander very much.  So, thanks in advance for your suggestions! 

Super Contributor

One of my favorite fiction books is Green Darkness   by Anya Seton.  It is a love story in England that covers two different centuries.  I first read it in high school and 40 years later still a favorite.

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic  

If you like Biographies, you might like these memoirs:

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is one of my favorite memoirs. If you have not read that one yet. It's about Jeanette Walls trying to overcome a childhood full of poverty, hunger, and disappointment.

Another Memoirs that I really like is The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride. it's about James McBride's mother, who married a black man and raised 12 children.

Both of the above books are very inspiring.

For family Sagas:

You might like The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. It's about two generations of Indain family trying to figure out their identiies and lives in America.

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. It's about two young people and two old folks trying to reconcile their differences in the mountatins and farms of Appalachia.

Respected Contributor

Thank you! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Recommendations please!

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic

One of my favorite books ever - Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer.  I loved this book. 

Per Amazon:

William Lowell Kane and Abel Rosnovski, one the son of a Boston millionaire, the other a penniless polish immigrant-born on the same day near the turn of the century on opposite sides of the world-are brought together by fate and the quest of a dream. Two men - ambitious, powerful, ruthless - are locked in a relentless struggle to build an empire, fueled by their all-consuming hatred. Over sixty years and three generations, through war, marriage, fortune, and disaster, Kane and Abel battle for the success and triumph that only one man can have...

Respected Contributor

I would recommend the Sullivan's Crossing series by Robyn Carr.  The third book in the series recently came out and I just finished it.  Awesome stories about a family living in Colorado and how more of their siblings find their way to the same town for various reasons.  Lots of interesting characters.  You can go to her website to get the names of the 3 books in this series.  Happy Reading! 

Respected Contributor

I just finished reading Origin by Dan Brown....I enjoyed it.

One of my all time favorites is An excess of love by Cathy Cash Spellman.  She intertwines historcial and fictional.  Set in Ireland.

Honored Contributor

I just loved The Room on Rue Amelie, it is a historical fiction. It was excellent, and although I finished it about a week ago, I am still thinking about the characters.......

Regular Contributor

Hi do-Mc:  I’ve just started a book called “Saints for all Occasions” about a “sprawling” Irish family (aren’t they all😄), mainly two sisters who go to America and all the family drama u would expect.....not too far into it but so far, I’m interested. 

Trusted Contributor

hi  i work in a local library and i think that sandra dallas is a good author.

i also recommend thatyou go to www.fantastic fiction and you will find that it has many great books and authors that you might like.