Esteemed Contributor

Hi MacDuff, oy Fail Safe was a really scary one! I saw the movie when it first came out, I guess it was around 1964 or so, and I can still remember how frightening it was in the war room, and the countdown at the end, showing different scenes in NYC and Moscow as it hit zero, and that was the end of the film. (I just got the chills.)

I don't believe I read the book. Did you? 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala

Yes, read it and saw the movie.  Altho the movie was good, I liked the book much better, but I always like the book better LOL!  I annoyingly say things like:  "Wait a minute, that wasn't in the book," or "that isn't the way the situation/relationship/concept was portrayed in the book," or "they missed a key point!" 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF and @sunala

I know this is the book forum, but just in case anyone wants a "lighter" version of living in a world after an EMP, the tv series "Dark Angel" (with Jessica Alba) was actually quite good, albeit from a different point of view.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@MacDUFF and @sunala

I know this is the book forum, but just in case anyone wants a "lighter" version of living in a world after an EMP, the tv series "Dark Angel" (with Jessica Alba) was actually quite good, albeit from a different point of view.

Thank you Homegirl; I will check it out!

Esteemed Contributor

After reading this thread I decided  to read "One Second After."  Wow, it scared the blank out of me, but I couldn't put it down.  On the one hand, I'd like to read the sequel and find out what happens, but I don't think I could take it right now.  Maybe after I get over the first one? Thanks for recommending it!!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

After reading this thread I decided  to read "One Second After."  Wow, it scared the blank out of me, but I couldn't put it down.  On the one hand, I'd like to read the sequel and find out what happens, but I don't think I could take it right now.  Maybe after I get over the first one? Thanks for recommending it!!

shoesnbags, I told ya! I have One Year After on my Kindle but I'm still not sure I'm going to read it. 

With what's going on in the world, I don't need to read another depressing, scary book. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

I just got through reading One Second After.  It kept being checked out in the library, so I found the paperback in the library bookstore for a dollar. It is very very frightening.  Not something we want to ever think about.  Someone else has a book out about this subject-seems like a newscaster? It is just out. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pianomama wrote:

I just got through reading One Second After.  It kept being checked out in the library, so I found the paperback in the library bookstore for a dollar. It is very very frightening.  Not something we want to ever think about.  Someone else has a book out about this subject-seems like a newscaster? It is just out. 

pianomama, whatever the book is, I don't want to read it. No more scary books like that for me! I'm done.