Respected Contributor

Nine Perfect Strangers

[ Edited ]

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty...was anyone disappointed in this book besides me? I am a huge Liane Moriarty fan, but this book seemed like it was written by an entirely different person. For me, there was little depth of character, and the plot was unrealistic. The whole thing felt so disjointed. Once in awhile, there would be a passage where I would think, “THERE is the author I love,” but they were few and far between. I’ve read all of her work, and up until now, she had only written one other book I wasn’t crazy about (Truly Madly Guilty), but this new one is definitely my least favorite. I know some may have enjoyed it...we’re all different... but for me, it was a flop.

Contributor

It's interesting that you have brought up this book tonight. I checked it out from the public library last week and have read the first 6 chapters. I almost returned it to the library today because it just doesn't hold my interest. This is my first Liane Moriarty book so I am thinking maybe I should keep reading and give it more of a chance. Your post makes me think I should just PTB. Anyone else not loving this book?

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg  I did not like this book either - found it very boring.  I have enjoyed all of her other books and was on the reserve waiting list for this one at the library for quite a while.  Was very disappointed when I started reading it and could not get into it enough to finish it.    Hopefully, her next book will be back to her normal interesting style. 

Valued Contributor

I finished it the other day and was just saying to my husband that it was one of the worst books I have ever read.  The more I read -- the more ridiculous it became.  Hard to believe it was written by the same author who wrote Big Little Lies and The Husband's Secret.  Very disappointing.  

Honored Contributor

I’m with you! I kept wondering if this was a totally different author. It was outlandish! I normally love her books so I as definitely disappointed. 

Occasional Contributor

Agree!  I was also disappointed and had to force myself to finish it.

Esteemed Contributor
Omigosh - I actually loved the book and included it as my favorite of the year! I listened on Audible (which needed to be at 1.25 speed.)

I actually didn’t always get Liane Moriarty’s hype - couldn’t believe how great the Big Little Lies miniseries was when I didn’t think the book was particularly special. And let’s just forget about Truly Madly Guilty, shall we?

But this one made me laugh. It was completely ridiculous and totally went off the rails. Without spoiling, I thought the story was modern - I had not heard of that before (not that that would be something I ever research.) And it had my favorite type of ending, where you find out what happens next in the characters’ lives.

I absolutely understand why people wouldn’t like it, but it really amused me. Like I said in my other posts, I cannot wait to see Nicole Kidman as Masha!
Respected Contributor

@deerfeeder wrote:

It's interesting that you have brought up this book tonight. I checked it out from the public library last week and have read the first 6 chapters. I almost returned it to the library today because it just doesn't hold my interest. This is my first Liane Moriarty book so I am thinking maybe I should keep reading and give it more of a chance. Your post makes me think I should just PTB. Anyone else not loving this book?

I don't know whether to advise you to keep reading it or not.  lol  I hate this has been your first experience with LM, because this book is NOT AT ALL the author's norm.  Everyone has different tastes, but I would suggest you try these LM books:  Big Little Lies, The Husband's Secret, and The Last Anniversary.  Like someone else mentioned, do not get Truly Madly Guilty.  When LM is on her game, her books are amazing, thought-provoking, and tear-jerking depending on how you relate to the character.  My heart literally skips a beat when I find out she's coming out with a new book.  This last one was such a dud (for me), though, that my heart may be fine from now on.  lol

Honored Contributor

The Husband’s Secret is my favorite of hers!

Honored Contributor

Sorry you didn't like "Nine Perfect Strangers."  I loved it and I know a lot of people didn't.  What made it for me were the characters, she always has interesting characters and puts them in unique situations.  Frances is one of my favorite's in all her books.

My advice with Liane Moriarty is to start with her first book, "Three Wishes."  And if you like or love it, read her through "Big Little Lies."  Love them all.   I have a soft spot for "Three Wishes" because it was her first book, I love the book, it's charming and I was excited to discover this great new writer.  

As others have said, skip "Truly Madly Guilty."