Regular Contributor

Heads up for all Elizabeth Strout fans:  New Strout novel to be released 9/20/22 titled Lucy by the Sea.  It seems to be another Lucy Barton story involving life during Covid isolationism.  Strout fans can pre-order, get on your local library's waiting list (like me) or mark your calendar.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Elizabeth Strout Novel

@JanetsGirl wrote:

Heads up for all Elizabeth Strout fans:  New Strout novel to be released 9/20/22 titled Lucy by the Sea.  It seems to be another Lucy Barton story involving life during Covid isolationism.  Strout fans can pre-order, get on your local library's waiting list (like me) or mark your calendar.

@JanetsGirl 

I have never read any of her books.  Can you tell me something of the genre.  I need something to put on my Kindle Fire.  I have lots of Audio credits.

Trusted Contributor

I just noticed that today, I saw it on Amazon.

My friend gave me the third book in the series, Oh William, for my birthday just recently.

i knew I had read the Lucy Barton book, but I couldn't find it on my bookshelf, so I ordered it again so I could re-read it.  I also read Anything is Possible.

I like her writing so much.  I also enjoyed Olive Kitteridge.

I will definitely be reading the new one.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @namealreadytaken !

I call Elizabeth Strout's genre character development.  Meaning the emphasis is on creating characters (maybe some you can relate to) and then having them move throughout their lives (perhaps in a way familiar to you).   Not a lot of plot, so readers who enjoy action, mystery, romance, etc. may not be wowed.  Another hallmark is top notch writing skills.  Other authors who I consider in this genre include Ann Patchett, Anne Tyler, Carol Shields, Lily King and Joan Silber (among others).  Hope that helps!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the heads up!  I am a huge fan and have read all of her books!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@JanetsGirl wrote:

@JanetsGirl -  I love Elizabeth Strout and have read just about all her novels. However, I wasn't crazy about Lucy Barton. The writing was excellent but I didn't like the character, or that horrible mother and father she had. Olive Kitteridge, however, was the BEST. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@JanetsGirl wrote:

@JanetsGirl -  I love Elizabeth Strout and have read just about all her novels. However, I wasn't crazy about Lucy Barton. The writing was excellent but I didn't like the character, or that horrible mother and father she had. Olive Kitteridge, however, was the BEST. 

I loved all of her books!  Can't wait for this one!!

Regular Contributor

Just finished Lucy by the Sea and really enjoyed it.  As usual, Strout's writing is exquisite!  The book takes place entirely during the pandemic; some outcomes were typical, and others unusual.  I love that she brings back characters from previous novels.  If you admire her writing, you should definitely add this book to your TBR list. 

Honored Contributor

@JanetsGirl wrote:

Hi @namealreadytaken !

I call Elizabeth Strout's genre character development.  Meaning the emphasis is on creating characters (maybe some you can relate to) and then having them move throughout their lives (perhaps in a way familiar to you).   Not a lot of plot, so readers who enjoy action, mystery, romance, etc. may not be wowed.  Another hallmark is top notch writing skills.  Other authors who I consider in this genre include Ann Patchett, Anne Tyler, Carol Shields, Lily King and Joan Silber (among others).  Hope that helps!

@JanetsGirl 

I had to change my name for some wackadoodle reason *per QVC* (not me) and I am now Nonametoday which I thought might be close enough for government work and QVC.  Thank you.  I like Anne Tyler's works as well as some of the others but have always enjoyed Anne.  Thanks for the heads-up.