Respected Contributor

Re: MARCH 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@Judaline wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@the geeger wrote:

I love all the Prey books!

I especially love the ones where Lucas collaborates with "that f****n Flowers" lol

Just wanted to say I love your nickname. Would you mind if I used it next time I see my daughter's dogs? 

haha of course I don't mind. Anyone who cares for a dog is their fairydogmother right?🥰

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

I read First Lie Wins by Ashley Elston.  Evie Porter (not her real name) is a successful con artist with two problems.  First, she's fallen in love with her mark, and Second,her evil boss Mr. Smith doesn't trust her anymore and is out to destroy her.  A clever cat and mouse story and I enjoyed it because it was a little different than the run of the mill thriller.

I also read The Fury by Alex Michaelides. This one seemed like the narrator (and by extension the author) tried to be so clever and it really didn't work for me. It's one of those tropes where he talks directly to the reader, and plays up how interesting this story will be, and then it isn't.

Respected Contributor

Finished my first book in February.  Angels of The Pacific by Elise Hooper about nurses in Manila during WWII and the atrocities they went through along with other people who lived there.  It was based on a true story.  A good historical read.

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon.  It is historical fiction based on the life of Martha Ballard, a midwife in the late 1700's.

Very good book.   There are a lot of characters so you may want to keep a cheat sheet early on in the book.   I reccomend this book. 

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I'm currently listening to this light romance series, 

The Café on Amelia Island: Seven Sisters, Book 2, by Hope Holloway.

I finished another light romance in a series, 

A Nantucket Promise: A Nantucket Sunset Series, Book 5, by Katie Winters. 

I finally finished listening to Barbra Streisand's memoir, My Name Is Barbra.   As I said in previous posts, it is long, detailed, enjoyable,  funny, heartwarming, and FANTASTIC!  I LOVED it. I am a LONG TIME fan.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Valued Contributor

Just finished rereading The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride for this month's book club.

For those who have enjoyed this book, there are several videos on YouTube with McBride discussing it. I found the interview with Walter Isaacson most interesting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After Annie, by Anna Quindlen.   

Annie and Bill have a made wonderful home for themselves and their four children.  Albeit the home is being rented from Bill's mother the one he grew up in.  Annie is not allowed to change a thing.  Annie gave up her desire to be a nurse after finding out in school she was pregnant with their first child thus beginning their married life.  Annie settles as a Nurse's Aid in a nursing home and nurtures her patients the way she does her family.  Bill works long hard hours as the owner of his own plumbing business.  He goes on calls in the middle of the night and does not care if someone still owes him money from a previous job.  The Brown's are just good people.  

One night while cooking dinner she tells Bill to get her an Advil she as a massive headache.  Before he can get to his feet she as gone down.  This family, Annie's sister, and her best friend's lives will never be the same without her being able to pick them all up and keep going.  Even the family of patients she cared for in the home.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I read Summers At The Saint by Mary Kay Andrews which was a book that took place at a hotel on the Georgia coast. It has some family drama, romance and little mystery and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I won it as a giveaway so I don't think it is actually out on the market yet but it is worth the wait.

I then read The Last To Vanish by Megan Miranda. This was my first book by her and i found it to be pretty slow moving but I was glad I finished because I had not predicted the ending.

And lastly I read Glory Road by Lauren K Denton which was about a woman who gets divorced and moves back to her hometown with her child.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Respected Contributor

I read The Teacher by Freida McFadden.  She is known for her short chapters and unputdownable plots.  It is all of that and yet, there is a huge ick factor to this book and I found it fairly predictable.  Except for that last McTwist. There is a wonderful review on Goodreads, complete with spoilers, that is much more fun to read than this book.  I usually like her books.  This one, not.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today I finished Simply the Best, the newest book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  It is a romance with a mystery plot.  I like the way her writing is clever and witty.  This book had a little too much bickering between the main characters for my taste, but that was part of how they fell in love.  I recommend it. 

Love the Prey books.  For the person who asked about where to start reading them again---   I think since you are familiar with the characters already it probably doesn't matter in what order you read them.  They are all so good.  Personally I like the ones set in Minnesota better than the ones where Lucas was sent to solve crimes far away.  And I love that f****** Flowers, too.