Honored Contributor

I was talking to an elderly neighbor yesterday and I was telling her what I've been reading lately.   She said she'd really love to do some reading for pleasure, but has trouble finding the large print books.     The small print is just too difficult at her age.

Any ideas or sources?   TIA !

Honored Contributor

Re: LARGE PRINT BOOK SOURCES?

@Tinkrbl44  Many libraries have a big stock of large print books!  Some you can get online, and if she needs them mailed, the local library might point you to a state library that will mail materials for people with limited or no sight!  FREE! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your local library!  My library has the large print version for almost every book they have in normal print.  And a plus is that when putting a book on hold, the large print books have a smaller wait list.

ETA:  My library also has a service where they deliver books to seniors!  Volunteers cover routes and deliver the books.  I don't know how computer literate your neighbor is, but perhaps you or someone at the library could help her if she is not good with computers or devices.

Honored Contributor

All states have an agency to serve the blind.  Here and in Texas it's called the New Mexico (Texas) Commission for the Blind.  They even have a store in Albuquerque where they sell products that make life easier for blind people.  They also have a library where people can check out large print and audible books.  They even provide a tape player for listening.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You could consider gifting your neighbor a basic Amazon Kindle. She could increase the type size as high as needed. Or you or someone in her family could set it for her.

My eyes are pretty good, but I set my Kindle at a slightly larger font size than a paperback, and find it more relaxing to read that way.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain

Excellent suggesstion re Kindle!    And, with the paperwhite Kindle - you can adjust the brightness also.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

You could consider gifting your neighbor a basic Amazon Kindle. She could increase the type size as high as needed. Or you or someone in her family could set it for her.

My eyes are pretty good, but I set my Kindle at a slightly larger font size than a paperback, and find it more relaxing to read that way.

Or see if anyone you know is planning to upgrade a Kindle and has an old one to give away. When you unregister a device from your Amazon account, it leaves the content on the device until it is reactived on a different Amazon account OR until it's manually wiped. That means free reading for any friend who rehomes your old Kindle.

My friend was recovering from breast cancer surgery and was going to be stuck at home for a few weeks. I had a Kindle I no longer used because I replaced it, so I deactivated the old Kindle and removed it from my Amazon account, leaving the books I'd purchased on the device. I gave it to my friend and told her she should look through the books I had on there and see if she wanted to read any of them and then read those before she activated the device on her own account. She really wanted to read the Game of Thrones series and I had all of them on the device, so she read them all before she wiped it clean and linked it to her own account to build her own library.

Honored Contributor

library

Respected Contributor

I prefer large print books and get mine at the local libraries. 

Super Contributor

I have an elderly aunt and uncle who both love to read, but regular print books are difficult for them.  They both bought a kindle and they are activated on MY account.  This works for us since they don’t have a credit card and are not online.  Fortunately we all like the same type of books, and if there is something one of them wants to read that I have no interest in, I’ll get it from Amazon and they will pay me back for it.  I have taken the precaution of adjusting their settings where they can’t accidentally order anything.  

Just throwing this out out there in case it would work for anyone else.