Trusted Contributor

Re: I just got a Kindle...now what...LOL

@Nataliesgramma 

Isn't it great to adjust the lighting & font size? I also like using X-ray to remind me who a character is- sometimes they're mentioned briefly & a few chapters later you need a refresher on who they are...

My one Oasis also has a feature in settings under accessibility. I can invert text & page to white letters on black background. I like this sometimes for night reading. Also might come in handy if you're the passenger in a car. The screen is darker so it wouldn't distract the driver at night. I seldom read in the car- get car sick. Although I've read that people say the kindle doesn't make them sick. Maybe because it's steadier than a book/pages moving around? I'm afraid to try it though.

Also Amazon has help forums for kindle. Every once in a while I'll have a little glitch & I can always find the answers there. 

Honored Contributor

I love my kindle for all of the reasons mentioned by others. I don't subscribe to unlimited as I prefer to pick out my own books. Remember you can order a free sample of any kindle book on Amazon, it's a useful perk. 
@Nataliesgramma 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I have the kindle app in my macbooks, ipads and iphone.  Kindle will remember where you are in your book, and can pick up with any of the kindle apps.  I think kindle unlimited is included with my Amazon Prime subscription (as are some movies), and I have occasionally picked up a kindle unlimited offering, usually self help.  Most of the books I specifically look for are not in kindle unlimited, so I just purchase separately.  Once I buy a kindle book via Amazon it is mine forever, and will reload in my new computer, phone.  Kindle books are generally much more affordable, and I can get them instantly.  I rarely buy books anymore, unless I know I want to share or buy for the pictures.  I generally don't reread books, so I find electronic books to be a great deal, less clutter!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma   I was given a subscription to unlimited Kindle for a year from my family for Christmas. I use an  I pad and use Libby from the library which is easy.

I had many problems signing in at Amazon and using the gift certificates. I didn't like the format. I finally talked my DIL into transferring my gift to her name. 
   The library is free and Libby is great! 

Honored Contributor

I love my Kindle!  I love how lightweight and easy it is to hold....how it's light in my handbag if I have to go and wait in a doctor's office and not schlep a heavy book. 

I like being able to adjust the font size and not have to wear reading glasses...I can also adjust the lighting too.  It's also easier on the eyes for reading a book than a computer or tablet screen.

When I would go and visit my mother for a few weeks I could download and bring many books with me ...can you imagine the weight of bringing four or five paperbacks in luggage, not to mention the space it would take up?

I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited and don't mind.  I can often find a good book to read but really most of the time I just purchase whatever I want from Amazon.  It's certainly not the most cost effective and others have good tips for joining an e-library.

Esteemed Contributor

Love mine.

Please do check out the library app.  All free and more choices than you can ever read.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma - You can see on this forum there is a Nook Free Friday thread. Every Friday Barnes and Noble offers a free Nook book. I think Kindle also does this, and I believe it's the same book.

Enjoy your Kindle!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have an original Kindle, IPad, and an Amazon fire tablet.

I enjoy reading best from my Kindle. I purchase all my books.

I once said I would never give up an actual book but once I began reading on the Kindle, I so enjoyed it more than a bulky book to hold.

Enjoy your new reading device and the features it has.

Trusted Contributor

I have a Kindle Fire.  I do not have KU or Amazon Prime, and I don't want them.  I do like receiving Amazon's Daily Kindle Deals.  Since the lockdown, the Kindle (which I really didn't use a lot before because I prefer paper books) has really come in handy.  Especially since I downloaded my public library's app for the Cloudlibrary.  That is great.  With all of that plus Goodreads, I am never without books to read.  

Good luck with your Kindle, and Happy Reading!  

Trusted Contributor

I always use the library for my Kindle.  I think one of the great things about it is the portability.  I can take a trip and have multiple books on that small piece of equipment.  I always have it when I get the oil changed, etc.  Being able to pull a book out of my purse makes waiting so much easier.  

I also use it at home, but do read print books as well.  Especially right now, it's easier to download books than pick them up at the library.