Honored Contributor

Thank you one and all for your interesting and kind replies!

I AM glad to know that it's not just me!

Some really good points that you have all made.

I am not much for historical reading.  I admit that if a story has a little bit of war, battle, etc., I'm o.k., but very much --- then -- nope -- not for me.

I don't like to read anything about politics --- I hear this stuff on the news until it is coming out of my ears!!!

I like to read things which I can feel comforted, shocked, amused, enlightened by.  Not necessarily all in the same book!!! 

I am not one to read books which have an excess amount of se*ual content or graphic descriptions of such.  

I tend to like books which are about women -- their struggles, their triumphs, their relationships -- whether it be with friends, lovers, children, husband, parents, etc.

I am not much for the classics.  I have tried but I don't like heavy things.  Although this is not to say that I do not like meaningful reading.

I like some suspense in a book but it is better when it is coupled with other things.

I have been known to read what I refer to as detective books, etc., but with me, a little goes a long way.

My favorite writer was Maeve Binchy.  She had a way of making you feel like you really knew the characters, and were enmeshed in their lives.  I lament that she passed - she seemed like a lovely person!  I also very much liked the books of Rosmunde Pilcher.  Maybe this will give everyone an idea of the type of writing I like.  I am also rather partial to beach novels.  Probably because I love the beach, and water and always wanted to live near or on a beach.

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!!!

Oh, I don't have tablet, or eletronic books or anything like that.  I just read regular books.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Having a problem with reading --- wondering if you do, too?

@KathyM23 wrote:

@dsw503

Try going to the library and finding books by Taylor Caldwell.  She is now deceased, but her books are wonderful.  She is a born storyteller.  Go back and read Ann Rynd's Atlas Strutgged.  Read Sue Grafton's series beginning with"A" for Alibi.  Julia Spencer's mysteries about a woman minister former military heading up a small town church and involved with the sheriff.  Too early in the morning for me to thilnk of more - I stayed up reading til 2 a.m. last night!  Just finished Dorthea Benton Frank's new book Same Beach, Next Year.  She has many books taking place in South Carolina Lowcountry.  I too do not like many of the new authors style of writing although I am always on the lookout for new ones I can get in to.  Let us know what your type of books you like and I will think of more.

Julia Spencer Fleming.  Outstanding books!

Super Contributor

I had that problem a few years ago.  I usually read at least 70 books a year but that year it took me 6 months to read just one.  I think it was when I discovered all these book blogs that I got excited about reading again.  Then I expanded my genre to include, for example,  historical fiction, African literature  &  Asian literature to name a few. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I'm reading a book now you may enjoy its A Long Time Gone by Karen White. Im not much into fiction but my daughter recommended it and it's very good so far. It is about generations of women.  I got it at the library.

I loved Maeve Binchy,too. Have you read Maeves Times?  Its selected writings by her from the Irish Times...hilarious! 

PS I stopped wasting my time on books I didn't like years ago...used to slog through if I started a book.  No more,too many good ones waiting!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

If there are a lot of main characters, I make wee notes on each of them and keep that page and pencil with the book.

Trusted Contributor

I was feeling blah about reading this spring because I didn't have books I was really looking forward to reading.  I read a lot of so-so books and needed a new author and/or series.  Well, I found William Kent Krueger and his Cork O'Connor series and I am excited about reading again.  

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Thank you one and all for your interesting and kind replies!

I AM glad to know that it's not just me!

Some really good points that you have all made.

I am not much for historical reading.  I admit that if a story has a little bit of war, battle, etc., I'm o.k., but very much --- then -- nope -- not for me.

I don't like to read anything about politics --- I hear this stuff on the news until it is coming out of my ears!!!

I like to read things which I can feel comforted, shocked, amused, enlightened by.  Not necessarily all in the same book!!! 

I am not one to read books which have an excess amount of se*ual content or graphic descriptions of such.  

I tend to like books which are about women -- their struggles, their triumphs, their relationships -- whether it be with friends, lovers, children, husband, parents, etc.

I am not much for the classics.  I have tried but I don't like heavy things.  Although this is not to say that I do not like meaningful reading.

I like some suspense in a book but it is better when it is coupled with other things.

I have been known to read what I refer to as detective books, etc., but with me, a little goes a long way.

My favorite writer was Maeve Binchy.  She had a way of making you feel like you really knew the characters, and were enmeshed in their lives.  I lament that she passed - she seemed like a lovely person!  I also very much liked the books of Rosmunde Pilcher.  Maybe this will give everyone an idea of the type of writing I like.  I am also rather partial to beach novels.  Probably because I love the beach, and water and always wanted to live near or on a beach.

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!!!

Oh, I don't have tablet, or eletronic books or anything like that.  I just read regular books.  

I have been a avid reader all my life, too.  I understand how you are feeling. You have received some really good recommendations.  I am going to give you some more.

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is among the best I've ever read.  Start that with the first book. Get through page 275 and you will be hooked for the next eight books.  There is some s*x and violence, but these are rich, character driven novels unlike anything you have read.  They are exceptional.

There are a few books that are on my all time favorite lists, Gabaldon's, of course.  There are some others: 

Atlas Shrugged

All The Light We Cannot See

11/22/63

I encourage you to try these.  These are books that stay with you forever.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate all of the suggestions!  I will make note of them.  Yes, I think I am in a book slump.  One problem I think is I have been given a lot of books -- a lot --- and most of them are not books which I would choose for myself.  I appreciated getting them and there are some ones which I think will be interesting.  But, I think I need to go through them all and weed them out.  Just keep the few which I think will truly be good for me and give away the rest.  I have been trying to make selections and read from these but really, a lot of them I would not have chosen myself.  Thanks again, everyone!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I read on my Kindle every chance I get, but trying to keep up with the many characters' names can be difficult.  I may have to backup and read until I realize whom they are talking about.

Same for me with TV shows, i.e. I love the PBS series, "George Gently" about an English detective and his two cohorts.  When they are talking about a character who is not seen on the screen at that moment, I cannot always recall what character belongs to that name.

I hope I'm making sense.  lol