Regular Contributor

Has anyone ever sold books to half price books?

I've been going through boxes of books.  I've thrown some away, put some in a green bin that gets donated somewhere.  I buy books from half price books but never taken any there.  

Do they give you much money/store credit for books in good condition.  I know it depends on their inventory, etc.  Also, if you buy a book from there will they give you anything if you take the book back?

TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever sold books to half price books?

[ Edited ]

Many many years ago. As I recall you were lucky if you got a $1.00 or so for a book. I stopped because they are on the other side of town and the gas isn't worth trouble. Now I just donate and take off my taxes.

Trusted Contributor

I gave it a try once.  I took about 4 boxes of books in and they gave me 15 dollars.  It sure wasnt work lugging all those up for that.  Now I more frequently donate so not so much at one and take to a womens shelter in my area.

Honored Contributor

I now box them up, put them on the porch and call the Salvation Army truck.  That truck is a blessing to me!  

Trusted Contributor

I took books to Half Price Books on several occasions, and was okay with the amount that I received.  The last time that I went there (pre-Covid), I was shocked with the ridiculously small amount offered.  I took back my boxes, and donated them to Salvation Army.  The employees at HPB seemed shocked when I did that.

Regular Contributor

Thanks.....that is what I was afraid of.  I live in a rural community so I will have to find a Salvation Army and lug books there!   I may save some of my better/newer ones for a garage sale (that I probably will never have!!)   I rather earn a dollar that way then have 1/2 price give me a dollar or less then they sell for $6-8.  I have bought a couple there for $4.

Honored Contributor

I used to trade books at a specialty book store where you...

I used to trade books at a specialty book store where you could select a book when you turned one in.  That store no longer exists,

I have donated almost all of my books that don't support my interests and research.  Any books that I buy are in this category and unfortunately, many are out of print and are expensive.  I use my books and the collection is extensive.

For me, I would donate any unused books to the library as the money you would make is so minimal unless you have out-of-print collectibles.

Honored Contributor

@shopqvcless   You don't have to lug your books to Salvation Army.  Hopefully, you have a Vietnam Vet's in your area.  You make an appointment on line and they pick up donations for free.  I have used them for years and really appreciate their service.

Honored Contributor

I did this years ago and I truthfully don't remember the exact price I got, but I do know that it wasn't much.  I thought it was more trouble than it was worth.  Now I either donate them to Good Will, take them as I read them to the little free book nooks, or when I have other items to donate, I call Am Vets and they will come to your house and pick things up.  They will tell you what day they are coming and you just have to set them on your porch or patio.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I looked into one of those buy back places.  They were really picky about the titles they would take, they offered a very small amount per book (12¢, 15¢, 25¢, etc.) and you had to reach $12 before you could ship the books.  You spend time typing in all the info per book only to find out they will only take a few of what you have to offer. It's not worth it.  I box them up and take them to my local library for their books sale or to Salvation Army or Savers.  One and done and I've done something good for someone!