Honored Contributor

In June of 2018 a sequel to "Beartown" will be published in English.  The title is "Us Against You."   It continues where "Beartown" left off. 

Interesting fact, the name was changed for the U.S. -- "Beartown" was published in the UK and Australia as "Scandal."   This happened with "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry" also.  It was published in the UK etc. as "My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises." 

I wonder what is it about US that we need different titles?  Like "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" instead of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", everywhere else.

"Deal of a Lifetime" was released here today (and oh, the feels) and film rights have already been purchased here, by the indie company that adapted "Room" for film.

And there's going to be an American remake of "A Man Called Ove" produced by and starring Tom Hanks.  The Swedish film was perfection so I have mixed feelings, but given that they're doing it  Tom Hanks is a perfect choice.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Frederik Backman Fans: News

I wanted to be a Frederik Backman fan, but when I read "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry",  they kept feeding that poor dog chocolate.  Chocolate is poison to dogs, so that ruined the story for me.  I haven't read "A Man Called Ove", but may later on.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori Yes, YES & YES!  One happy camper hearing this news!

Respected Contributor

I think it's ridiculous that Tom Hanks is going to remake an absolutely PERFECT movie.

I've always liked Hanks, but this smacks of greed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

WendyLooWho, I kept wondering about that chocolate bit too. (Of course, the animal was not technically a dog, but still. . .)

While I'm about it, I loved A Man Called Ove, disliked Britt-Marie was Here, and am quite indifferent to the Grandmother book.

I'm off Backman for a while.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I think it's ridiculous that Tom Hanks is going to remake an absolutely PERFECT movie.

I've always liked Hanks, but this smacks of greed.

@insomniac2, it is standard Hollywood to remake a foreign-language film based on a book that was a bestseller in English.   "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and the two sequels, for example..  "The Snowman."   It happens quite often.

I don't judge a film that hasn't even been made yet; I don't judge a film until I see it.  That Tom Hanks is executive producing is a good sign and he certainly doesn't need to do it out of greed.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@LoriLori Yes, YES & YES!  One happy camper hearing this news!

@CareBears, great to see you here.  It's a free forum yet I didn't expect Backman to get slammed in this thread LOL....So "The Deal of a Lifetime" is a deeply moving book and IMO one you want to own it so you can read it over and over.  It's only 62 pages and that's with illustrations.  It's so beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 I have read that a few people have had problems with Britt Marie, I loved her, and want him to continue on with her character.  And I actually bought the Grandmother book, and refer back to it often, I am somewhat like Britt Marie, I am  not comfortable in social settings, I am OCD in organization, and cannot stand anything out of place, and love my alone time, I am not as severe as Britt=Marie, but I loved how Fredrick (notice we are on the first name basis) developed Britt-Marie over time, and when I turned the last page that Britt-Marie was featured in, I said aloud I am going to miss you Britt-Marie, I just love everything he writes so much!  Not maybe as much as LoriLori, but almost , LOL!

Super Contributor

Beartown is up for best fiction on Goodreads.  I haven't read it so I didn't vote for it.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@insomniac2 I have read that a few people have had problems with Britt Marie, I loved her, and want him to continue on with her character.  And I actually bought the Grandmother book, and refer back to it often, I am somewhat like Britt Marie, I am  not comfortable in social settings, I am OCD in organization, and cannot stand anything out of place, and love my alone time, I am not as severe as Britt=Marie, but I loved how Fredrick (notice we are on the first name basis) developed Britt-Marie over time, and when I turned the last page that Britt-Marie was featured in, I said aloud I am going to miss you Britt-Marie, I just love everything he writes so much!  Not maybe as much as LoriLori, but almost , LOL!

Uh-oh, looks like I'd better read the Britt Marie book. That's me, too, carebears. She must be really cool Smiley Happy