Honored Contributor

Re: FEBRUARY 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

I finally finished The Last Housewife by Ashley Winstead. It started off slow for me, and I ended up putting it down, and reading something else, then I went back to it and it ended up being really good to me. It was different and kind of dark and twisted, but very good.....

I am now reading something I think is a little more light called The Matchmaker by Elin Hilderbrand.....I haven't read anything by her in a long time, and this sounds good..... 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am reading Crosshairs by James Patterson.  It is about a very young war vet who goes to work with the police.  Kind of preachy so far.  The main character is dissecting the young vet who is working a case with him.  On the fence about this one.  Would not recommend based on what I have read so far...

Update:  I did finish this one but it is not in my recommend list.  A reluctant 3/5*.

Esteemed Contributor

"All the Dangerous Things" by Stacy Willingham. She is a new author for me. 

Isabelle Drake's toddler son was kidnapped from his home a year ago, and the trail has since gone cold. Isabelle will stop at practically nothing to find out the whereabouts of her son. The book delves into her past, which explains Isabelle's personality.

I liked the book a lot; it has twists one doesn't see coming. The ending made sense, also. I'll be reading more from this author. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

"All the Dangerous Things" by Stacy Willingham. She is a new author for me. 

Isabelle Drake's toddler son was kidnapped from his home a year ago, and the trail has since gone cold. Isabelle will stop at practically nothing to find out the whereabouts of her son. The book delves into her past, which explains Isabelle's personality.

I liked the book a lot; it has twists one doesn't see coming. The ending made sense, also. I'll be reading more from this author. 

@teganslaw Yes, I remember this one. It was very good. I like her books a lot!

Respected Contributor

I recently finished The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride.  This is a book that has received much praise and created a lot of "buzz."  I liked it just fine, but I didn't love it like so many readers .  I find many times that a book that is so highly publicized leaves me feeling disappointed.  Maybe that's what my reaction is all about.  The book is very character driven; there are a lot of very colorful characters-some extremely good people and some extremely bad people.  The author also gets in some "editorial comments" about life in America. Yes, I recommend it, but just be aware of the points I just made.

Respected Contributor

I just started Pack Up The Moon by Kristan Higgins. Didn't realize the story until I started reading, it apparently was on a sale I couldn't pass as I've not read any others from her. It's about a newlywed who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. She writes letters to her husband, and others in her circle, to be read after her passing. I'm only about 1/3 through but really enjoying it. I started yesterday when I had to get my car serviced and had to fight the tears from falling while in the waiting area. A young couple came in with a baby who saved me from outright tears falling. It's not all sad, the story is picking up as her husband learns, through her letters, to start living his life. 

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

I recently finished The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride.  This is a book that has received much praise and created a lot of "buzz."  I liked it just fine, but I didn't love it like so many readers .  I find many times that a book that is so highly publicized leaves me feeling disappointed.  Maybe that's what my reaction is all about.  The book is very character driven; there are a lot of very colorful characters-some extremely good people and some extremely bad people.  The author also gets in some "editorial comments" about life in America. Yes, I recommend it, but just be aware of the points I just made.

How timely. I'm reading it right now-got the review here a while back but I haven't heard of it's acclaim! Just thought it was some obscure book that sounded a bit like the Mitford books which I so much enjoyed. I really didn't know what I was in for! I felt lost at first, now I'm just puzzled trying to figure out the characters. But I want to keep reading, not like the two sitting on my bedside table which I stopped midstream-just  weren't doing it for me. Here's hoping.

Regular Contributor

Just this morning I finished  THE BOOKBINDER by Pip Williams.  It was probably reviewed here earlier since the book has been out for several months.  I really enjoyed the book.  I think I have mentioned before I like books that are more character driven than story driven; however, I do like a good story.

This book left me with conflicting emotions.  It's about twin sisters who work in a book bindery during WWI.  One ambitious and the other needing help and the hardships and travels through life during a difficult period.   And it has a good love story, too.

It seems intelligent women have always been on the cusp of change and navigating their own story, but it always came at such a price.  At one time they didn't have their own story and now they do, but are still sometimes relegated to the back up position of a man.

Good Book!

Respected Contributor

I finished Holmes, Marple and Poe by James Patterson and another writer.  Very over the top and non stop action but a lot of fun. Maybe a little too much 007.

Also read The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I'm always amazed at how different each of her books is. Most are set in Mexico, but this one is set in France. A book of manners and society and an unconventional love story. All of her books have some element of magic. My favorites are still Gods of Jade and Shadow and The Daughter of Doctor Moreau. She is probably most famous for Mexican Gothic.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

I finished Holmes, Marple and Poe by James Patterson and another writer.  Very over the top and non stop action but a lot of fun. Maybe a little too much 007.

Also read The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I'm always amazed at how different each of her books is. Most are set in Mexico, but this one is set in France. A book of manners and society and an unconventional love story. All of her books have some element of magic. My favorites are still Gods of Jade and Shadow and The Daughter of Doctor Moreau. She is probably most famous for Mexican Gothic.

@smoky22 I was intrigued by the blurb on Goodreads for The Beautiful Ones and your comment about Gods of Jade and Shadow and Doctor Moreau.  I will come back to these. Thanks.