Respected Contributor

Can anyone recommend a good book about Chanel?  She seems to be a very interesting person with  much mystery in her life.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl I have a friend who has read quite a bit about Chanel. Her involvement with the Nazis will surprise you.

Honored Contributor

I read

Sleeping with the Enemy: Coco Chanel's Secret War.

and 

Chanel:  An Intimate Life.  

Both were good, but probably because her life was quite surprising. 

There is a movie I saw long ago about her life.  Maybe, you can find that on the internet or cable.  Forget the title.  

Trusted Contributor

Mademoiselle:  Coco Chanel and the Pulse of History by Rhonda Garelick.

Super Contributor

CHANEL, A Woman of Her Own by Axel Madsen.

Super Contributor

Re: Coco Chanel

[ Edited ]

Funny you should mention Coco Chanel, I just read an article yesterday about a new limited series on Apple TV. I don't subscribe to the channel, but others may be interested. Sorry, I've not read any books worth mentioning about Coco, but she is intriguing. I enjoy Juliette Binoche, so the article caught my eye.

“The New Look” a new historical drama series starring Ben Mendelsohn as Christian Dior and Juliette Binoche as Coco Chanel. Inspired by true events, the series from Todd A. Kessler chronicles the fashion designers and their contemporaries as they launched modern fashion, set against the World War II Nazi occupation of Paris.

The first three episodes will premiere on Feb. 14, followed by one episode dropping every Wednesday through April 3. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Coco Chanel

[ Edited ]

@mildoo @bargainsgirl

Just this past week, I finished reading Chanel, A Woman of Her

Own by Axel Madsen.

It was very interesting and I enjoyed reading how she worked her way up to be a famous designer, from a very humble beginning.

I got it from Daedalus Books for $6.98.

Super Contributor

Calling EnufStuf

It is an old book which I purchased from the Literary Guild many years ago and have read about three times since her name comes up so often.  She really reinvented herself and I am sure she would be pleased to know  she is still such a part of fashion and history.

Respected Contributor

@mildoo   You are correct. It is an older book. I purchase a lot of books from Daedalus, and they are not newly published books.

But they are new, unused books. I have bought a lot of unusual books for gifts for family and children's books at great prices,

from this company.

She had such an amazing life and she did reinvent herself over the years. She seemed sad at the end, about never being able to have a child and a family.

Her fashion influence is still seen today. Just this week, there is an ad from Macy's, showing a model wearing a Chanel style jacket and skirt and her iconic sling back shoes in tan with the black toes.

Honored Contributor

The French in the end forgave her. If it's fashion....who cares?  That wouldn't have happen in the U.S.  It's like the Mercedes and BMW.  Mercedes especially caused slave labor during the late 30's and 40's.  Jews not gassed were to put to work there. In fact some say the Nazis did not force Mercedes to.  They did it on their own.  But today, their cars are class.