Regular Contributor

I'm going to a teaching conference in about a week and I need some book recommendations for my trip. My favorite authors are Frederik Bachman, Lisa See, Haruki Murakami, James Patterson, and Gillian Flynn. I'm open to anything except horror. 

Esteemed Contributor

Been enjoying Michael Connely's books.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

I really like James Patterson too.  Did you read The Black Book?  I just finished it and thought it was very good.

Respected Contributor

I like Frederik Backman and Lisa See, too. If you like James Patterson, you might enjoy Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone Alphabet Mysteries.  My favorite (out of the ones I read) of that series is S is for Silence. But you can't go wrong with any of them. (And you don't need to read them in order, either).

Another author that I just discovered in recently years and enjoy very much is Kristin Hannah.  I like her Firefly Lane and The Nightingale.

And last but not least, I have to also recommend one of my all time favorite books What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.

Respected Contributor

@KaliaMonet

For an enjoyable change of pace, try "Garlic and Sapphires," by Ruth Reichl.  Your tastebuds will thank you. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I recently finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah and loved it.  Also, anything by Sue Grafton or JoJo Moyes. 

Trusted Contributor

@KaliaMonet

Have you ever read anything by Sidney Sheldon? He is one of my all time favorite authors. Harlan Coben, Linwood Barclay, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Mary Higgins Clark & Lisa Scottoline are others that I would recommend. 

Super Contributor

Try Jacqueline Woodson for a change. She was featured on CSPAN's Book Notes yesterday for their monthly 3 hr interview and she was just wonderful. I just bought one of her books online when the show was over.

Respected Contributor

Have you read any of Ruth Ware's books?  Her latest - The Death of Mrs. Westaway - is her best IMO.  

Respected Contributor

Just this morning finished reading How to Love a Jamaican by Alexia Arthurs.  Beautifully written vignettes told with tenderness, wit, and candor.  Some are heartbreaking.  Her talent for being specific allows the reader to paint a picture and of actually being there.  It's as though you know the characters.  Relevant. Great storyteller.  

Spoiler:  there are a couple of surprising twists and turns as the book comes to an end.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown