Honored Contributor

A wonderful book is "Love You Forever."  I bought it for DS and DIL when they were expecting their first child.

We sat together and I read it. I blubbered my way through the last part but we all loved it.

All 3 of my grands have read it and loved it.

Pat The Bunny is good too, I agree.

Respected Contributor

I give The Velveteen Rabbit.  I can't get through it without my eyes leaking.   I also like The Giving Tree.  These books transcend babyhood. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@hovis   Just a tip. I have been to a few showers that have done this and there are duplicate books. My tip is don't write inside your book so if it is a duplicate she can exchange it. The last shower had 5 Good Night Moon books.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

When my first grandchild was born my oldest daughter gave me a book called, "Grandma remembers".  

It's wonderful.  Can you believe I now have 7 living grandchildren?  I STILL write in the book.  Except I write stories about my late husband and myself when we met, the friends and things we did, etc.

There are places for pictures.  If you give something like that it will be different and I guarantee you she'll remember who gave it to her (for HER MOM) and you can, if you want to give one for the baby's Father.

We were married 7 years before we had our first daughter so there are so many memories, stories, people and places they didn't know about.  But it's still about the baby's heritage.

In our family we pass stories and things down the line.  Just the other day my middle daughter asked me to go out in front of my yard and send me a picture of the big rock she and her sister's would set on while waiting for the school bus.  She said she tells her girls about her childhood and wanted them to see the big rock.

This might not be a big deal to some but obviously, it made a memory for my middle daughter.

I hope you get the idea.  It's always good to pass down memories to each generation.  Then if you wanted to you could give some little outfit.

I always have a friend of mine knit baby blankets for everyone (and I mean everyone I know having a baby).  Her baby blankets have gone to waitresses, bank tellers, you name it.  I enjoy giving what I call, "I love you" gifts to other's.  It's a win-win.  My friend makes money at doing something she does constantly on her 'down time'.  These people get a one of a kind memory.

My niece just gave her great niece a quilt she made herself.  She sent me a picture of it.  It was beautiful.

Thank you for sharing .

Super Contributor
My little granddaughter loved the board books by Sandra Boyton. Her drawings are adorable. She loved Bedtime for Hippos especially but they are all great.
Contributor

Re: Baby Book Suggestions

[ Edited ]

One of my favorite picture books for children is called

"The Girl and the Bicycle" by Mark Pett.

It is a wordless book, so the beautiful story is told through simple pictures. This book encompasses so many wonderful attributes: selflessness, hard work, perseverance, generosity, kindness, and gratitude.

I like that there aren't any words, so children of all ages can "read" the book. Every time I narrate it to my students, I've never been able to get through the last page without tearing up. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Respected Contributor

@hovis wrote:

I am going to my great nieces baby shower. Instead of a card they want us to bring a book for the baby. It's been years since I had any little ones. Thanks

A book that is bright and colorful with different textures. Babies can and should be introduced to books from birth!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Be sure to get board books.  There is a very sweet one called Owl Babies. Mother owl flies off to hunt and the babies get worried, but mother comes back and all is well.  Short and sweet.