Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Wasnt there a store that did this several years ago and went belly up?  You ordered by flier or catalog by phone and by some displays at the store and then went to the pick up area and got your order.  I cant remember the name.

There were three such chains that I'm aware of. Basco, Best and Service Merchandise. They all went out of business between 1997 and 2002. It was a clever concept at the time but the hassle of filling out the order forms and then waiting for the order to be retrieved annoyed some people. Doing it all by smartphone and using robots to gather the items while the customer shopped could make it a very fast, easy shopping experience these days however.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Two things I love about Amazon's reinvention of the bookstore:

-- that every book has four stars or above.  Overall I find these reviews average out fairly accurately unless it's a book with political content where people write reviews to make points or attempt to be funny.  I read these reviews and rely on them and trust most of them

-- that every single book's cover faces the consumer.  No titles shelves by the spine.  This is a wonderful innovation IMO (made possible by culling the inventory to four-star and above books).

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Two things I love about Amazon's reinvention of the bookstore:

-- that every book has four stars or above.  Overall I find these reviews average out fairly accurately unless it's a book with political content where people write reviews to make points or attempt to be funny.  I read these reviews and rely on them and trust most of them

-- that every single book's cover faces the consumer.  No titles shelves by the spine.  This is a wonderful innovation IMO (made possible by culling the inventory to four-star and above books).

Robot winkCat WinkSmiley WinkWoman Wink

Respected Contributor

AMAZON’S BRICK-AND-MORTAR BOOKSTORES ARE NOT BUILT FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY READ

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/amazons-brick-and-mortar-bookstores-are-not-built-...

Honored Contributor

@lovescats, oh, my!.  A work in progress?  Working out the kinks?  So many kinks, yikes.