Honored Contributor

Decided to reread. also requested the film from the library.

On another note:in the doctors office the reception had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned 11-22-63.

Esteemed Contributor

I was 16 when JFK was assassinated so I knew the reference immediately. Young people don't seem to be getting much history in school. I live about an hour away from the Women's Hall of Fame and was talking to my teenage granddaughter about Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. She had never heard of them. So much for the honor roll.

Pearl Harbor happened before I was born yet I knew about 12/7/1941. Jay Leno has brought back a new version of Jay Walking on his otherwise mediocre reboot of "You Bet Your Life." People are asked what should be easy questions but can't answer them. A teacher was asked who's on Mount Rushmore. She knew the names but when it came to Roosevelt, Jay asked "Which one?" To that the teacher replied, "There were two?"

Occasional Contributor

I read this book for the first time earlier this year, and just loved it. It's a long book, but I was so riveted to the story that I plowed right through it in short order. After I read the book, I watched the Hulu miniseries. It took a lot of liberties with the material, but I suppose given the length of the novel, had to do so. I'm really glad I read the book first.

Respected Contributor

I loved the book - one of SK's best IMO.  Brilliant concept.  As long as it was I read it pretty quickly.

Honored Contributor

I give a break to anyone not remembering a date they learned in history class and then cannot remember until they have a personal connection with the event.   I wish I knew when I actually "learned" Pearl Harbor or D Day dates, for example, because even though I was exposed to them in school and knew them for test day, I doubt I actually knew them until much later.

By the time of JFKs assassination, I was an adult and even remember exactly where I was standing and from whom I first heard of the shooting.  Other images of the day pile on top of that one, and all together make the date personal and unforgettable.

Do I know the dates other presidents were assassinated?  I know I ws exposed to them at one time, but I neither lived them, saw them repeatedly on TV, or ever had reason to attach the date to its significance.  

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Decided to reread. also requested the film from the library.

On another note:in the doctors office the reception had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned 11-22-63.

@Group 5 minus 1 I am not surprised that most of the country wouldn't get the reference.  Do you know the date Lincoln was shot?  I don't.

I do know it has been almost 60 years ago Kennedy was shot.  And people who weren't at least 10 at the time probably wouldn't have very strong memories of it. 

Honored Contributor

I'm 73 and well recall it and where I was.

Read this book some years ago and could not put it down. For a few days I stayed up until way too late because I found it so fascinating.

Had never read any of King's books but this one is great.

Valued Contributor
  • Maybe I read wrong, May I know what book your talking about. Thanks
Contributor

I absolutely love that book! I read it and listened to the Audible. The reader was excellent in that it felt like he was recalling his story and telling it to you rather than he was “just” reading.

I did watch the Hulu miniseries and was disappointed. The casting did not match my mental pictures of these characters and of course, the plot was lacking compared to the book.

Honored Contributor

@De Anna that is the name of a Stephen King book we are discussing about the Kennedy assassination. My husband loved it, and he only reads about five books a year.