Occasional Contributor

wen users! newbie need advice

Hello all, I am new to wen. I just used for the first time yesterday. It worked well my hair was super shiny and smooth. I decided to try Wen as I am 27 and my hair is severely thinning. I have always had thin hair but in the course of the last 5 years, I have lost about 25 to 40 percent of my hair growth. It could be hereditary or it could be something else. I am going to be meeting with my dr. I am asking if I ordered the right kind. I got the cucumber aloe and the tea tree oil. I wish I could attach a picture...my hair is at my shoulders, very fine and thinning at the crown/top of my head. I am hoping the tea tree will help with regrowth? Any one else loss hair at the crown? if so, how long before u noticed a change? I will say, when I combed my hair, only about 10 hairs lost compared to like 80, 100 like normal. That's gotta be a good thing I hope.... thanks!
Respected Contributor

Re: wen users! newbie need advice

Welcome! Yes, the TT oil is a great choice to help with healthy hair growth. Some find that the cucumber aloe is not as moisturizing as some of the other cleansing conditioners. If you find it to be drying, you may want to consider a more moisturizing cleansing conditioner like tea tree or fig. Tea tree would probably be a great choice for you also. If you like cucumber aloe, then stick with that. They are all great, but sometimes it is good to try different ones to see which one works the best. The discovery kit is also a great choice. I wish you the best of luck!!
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Super Contributor

I love WEN, but I could not use any of the core products---well, BGT was okay. SEASONALs and 613 for me.

I tried the SAM, the lavendar, the POM, the fig, TT, etc. The smell of TT I just can't tolerate, although it works for dandruff and other scalp issues. (Just my experience)

I have thin, fine LONG hair that can frizz, and I have best results with a seasonal (especially the OLD winter and fall scents) like the new Summer Honey Peach, mixed with equal part of 613. Magic!

The key is to get hair thoroughly wet, be sure to use enough product (less will affect the result dramatically) massage in, do rest of shower for a few minutes and rinse rinse rinse.

I never cleanse twice, and never leave a pump as a leave in. I do use one pump of the styling cream on my cleansed, wet hair. I don't like many of the other products.

Great results, and I don't have to cleanse my hair every day as I used to do. Long lasting results.

Not sure the doc is going to know if the formula is the best for you...I guess he can give you an opinion on the TT or if the menthol will agree with your hair and scalp.

You might try liberally applying one of the oils to your scalp, and leaving in for a few hours before cleansing. Nice results.

Super Contributor

Brebee, cucumber aloe is good for normalizing your scalp and hair if your scalp is oily but your hair dry. It's a good place to start, especially since it made your hair look and feel so good. The tea tree oil is great for scalp treatments. You are having significant hair loss, so I'm glad you are going to the dr to check for any medical issues. If there are and you start working on them, the tea tree oil and WEN cc will help generate hair growth. The cleanser gets the old sebum and product cleaned off your scalp and your scalp in good condition and leaves it ready to absorb the nutrients of the tea tree oil.

As for when you will see growth, that's a personal thing, but the first thing you will notice are little stray hairs sticking up, probably starting to show when they are about an inch long - long enough to see but too short to be styled.

A good place to get an over all idea of what each formula works best on is to go to page for A238707, the 32 oz bottles of cleansing conditioner. At the top of the description there's a .pdf file "Wen Comparison Chart". It gives an overview of what each formula does. Each person is unique and some find they use WEN a little differently than the "recommended" way, but you really can't go wrong - just starting is the first big step.

I'm totally opposite of Kate Chopin - I am allergic to soy and so can't use the seasonals - I have stuck with the core formulas for 8 years. You have to find what works best for you.

Welcome to WEN, and come back with any questions as you use it. It is different than the traditional shampoo/conditioner, so there might be a slight learning curve or you may need to make some adjustments, but we've all been there and are willing to help.

Honored Contributor

Brebee, welcome to the Wen forum and welcome to Wen!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Everyone has given you some really great suggestions. I just want to second okiebug's reminder that Wen does have a learning curve, and so this forum is a great place to come with your questions.

It's an excellent idea to confer with your doctor about your thinning hair to make sure that there isn't an underlying medical condition because that would be beyond the scope of Wen.

What Wen can do is to create a healthier scalp for your hair follicles to grow in. If your scalp is irritated, stripped of it's natural oils, or has fungal/bacterial overgrowth then these conditions can each reduce the ability of the hair follicles to grow.

Chaz has formulated the Wen CCs to be gentle to both your scalp and your hair. The Seasonals, BGT and 613 have additional skin care ingredients added to then to help your scalp.

The TT CC that most Wen models, hosts and Wenners incorporate into their hair care routine has TT oil which is both antifungal and antibacterial. So it has medicial qualities that help keep the scalp healthy. TT oil is also an emulsifying agent which means that it helps loosen dried/caked sebum (body oil) on the scalp so that it can be cleansed away. This allows the hair follicles to breathe more easily.

Overnight Wen TT Treatment Oil scalp treatments amplify this process. As much as I like the TT CC, the overnight TT oil treatments are really the key. I try to do them twice a week.

I use the TT CC for my first cleanse. I only leave it in my scalp for a minute but TT oil works quickly to eliminate the unhealthy elements from the scalp. Then I rotate using one of the CCs with extra skin care ingredients (613, BGT or any of the Seasonals) for my second cleanse which I leave on my hair for 3-5 minutes.

In the Wen 101 thread (post #2), I have included my observations on which formulas Wenners use for various reasons. You may also want to look through the three links listed below. The Wen FAQ (post #3) also has this information. The Wen FAQ is a shorter version of Wen 101.

Best of luck, and feel free to ask as many questions as you need toSmiley Happy

-- bebeSmile Wen FAQ - key Wen links - Wen 101 - tips from Chaz Dean Studio

Super Contributor

I had hair loss on the crown of my head like you when I first started using Wen. Mine was due to my hair being really damaged and from stress. There are 100's of reasons why you are experiencing hair loss, so it's good you are seeing a doctor. Sounds like you got good results from the CA, but like someone else mentioned the discovery kit is a good way to try other formulas. I've been using Wen for years now and wouldn't use anything else!

Super Contributor

I agree about using the tea tree oil, I try to use it 2 to 3 times a week since it is supposed to help with hair growth, I have noticed some very short hairs at my hair line to, I have fine hair also, but I do keep it very short because it just looks better on me. Anyway, I've been using WEN for probably at least 3 or 4 years and I usually use Tea Tree cc for the first wash and something different for the second. I've never used Cucumber Aloe though because I don't have oily hair at all, no extra oil anywhere. I doubt if your dr will know about to he different formulas of cc though, but can't hurt to ask. I think the discovery kit would be great for you, that way you can check out different ones to see if one is better than the other. I know I don't loose as much hair when I wash it now like I used to when I used Ojon and I thought that was a good brand. Now I just find a few hairs in the sink instead of about 10 or more. Good luck!
Trusted Contributor

Certain oils, such as tea tree, black seed and cedar wood oil, are believed to promote healthy hair growth but, depending on what your doctor recommends, you might consider using a Rx topical.
☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Occasional Contributor

You all are so helpful and kind! Thank you so much! I got the tea tree oil and the discovery kit is next on my list! So far so great! My blood work was normal so off to the dermatologist I go someday soon! Thank you all for the knowledgable responses! Smiley Happy ?
Respected Contributor

On 7/14/2014 Brebee said: You all are so helpful and kind! Thank you so much! I got the tea tree oil and the discovery kit is next on my list! So far so great! My blood work was normal so off to the dermatologist I go someday soon! Thank you all for the knowledgable responses! Smiley Happy ?
That's great that your blood work was normal. I hope you find some answers soon. The tea tree oil should help and the discovery kit is a great choice also. I wish you the best! Keep us posted on how things are going for you. Smiley Happy
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!