Super Contributor

Re: remember to wash your makeup brushes

i rotate my foundation brushes so I can have one dirty and backups so I don't have to wash them everyday.  BUT for some reason I do, I just think liquid foundation just marrinating in brush hairs is just nasty.  I also clean my beauty blender everyday too.  I don't wear eyeshadow everyday so that's not an issue.  I think the liquid foundatin is the ick for me.

Honored Contributor

It's also prudent to sharpen often your lip liners and eye pencils. That's one reason I prefer them over ones that roll up. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm one who washes my brushes every single time I use them.  With soap and water.  Always have.  To me, it seems that those sprays only clean the outside of the brushes (I could be wrong).  I'm kind of a fanatic about getting my brushes clean and bacteria-free down deep inside.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wash my Real Techniques sponge everyday without fail, but I don't wash my brushes everyday.  I take the sponge in the shower with me daily, so it's not an inconvenient task.  

I don't use my brushes for anything liquid such as foundation.  They're only for powder, blush and eye shadow. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

Since I don't wash my face with germ-killer I clean my brushes every time I use them. 

@LoriLori 

What do you do to keep your lipstick/lip balm germ free?

Valued Contributor

I use It's Brush Love too...It's so good and easy!!!

No excuse not to clean them.

Monke~

@Shanus wrote:

There are many brush cleaning sprays that clean your brush on the spot until your weekly wash schedule. I use IT's BRUSH LOVE & a paper towel. After a few days, I wash my brushes that are used for liquid/cream products at night when I wash my face. I hang them on the end of the counter and they're dry and ready by the next morning.

For those who find brush washing a chore, use your God given makeup applicators.....fingers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm    For my lip balms and lipsticks, I use floss to slice off 1/8" or as little as possible every few months or after I've had a cold, etc. You can also wipe off the top w/ alcohol. That's the preferred method for cleaning the doe foot on gloss, too. I stopped using gloss/balm in a pot. No more finger dipping. Really miss my Rosebud Salve. 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I wash my Real Techniques sponge everyday without fail, but I don't wash my brushes everyday.  I take the sponge in the shower with me daily, so it's not an inconvenient task.  

I don't use my brushes for anything liquid such as foundation.  They're only for powder, blush and eye shadow. 

@

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@San Antonio Gal   Don't use sponges often, but great idea! 

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I'm one who washes my brushes every single time I use them.  With soap and water.  Always have.  To me, it seems that those sprays only clean the outside of the brushes (I could be wrong).  I'm kind of a fanatic about getting my brushes clean and bacteria-free down deep inside.   

@tototwo   I only use the sprays as temporary "fix", not as a true brush cleaning. I have 3 or 4 of each brush I use for cream or liquids. I can rotate them, spray them to keep them somewhat clean until their weekly "bath". Sounds excessive to keep duplicates of expensive brushes, but have been collecting/purchasing them for 40 years. Some were gifts while at BB. 

Honored Contributor

@erica g wrote:

i rotate my foundation brushes so I can have one dirty and backups so I don't have to wash them everyday.  BUT for some reason I do, I just think liquid foundation just marrinating in brush hairs is just nasty.  I also clean my beauty blender everyday too.  I don't wear eyeshadow everyday so that's not an issue.  I think the liquid foundatin is the ick for me.

@erica g  Same thing here. The foundation brushes are obvious when dirty, but dark haired eye shadow brushes may not be. I keep a mug on my vanity for dirty foundation brushes and shadow brushes that need cleaning. It's easier to keep track which ones have been used.