Regular Contributor

proactiv + vs old proactiv system

Hi there- which system do you prefer? My history- have had acne longer than I havent-am now in my 40's. I have gone to the dermatologist and tried everything. All the meds-pills-creams- and many years ago 1 round of accutane. I recently tried spironolactone and it didnt agree with me. So now I am faced with a second round of accutane. Because I am older now I am really concerned about side effects of accutane. I am not horribly broken out its just the acne never takes a break. Which proactiv system helped. Perhaps I need to be faithful to one system for a few months to see if consistency helps?
Regular Contributor

Re: proactiv + vs old proactiv system

Also just to add-I have seen more than one dermatologist-and they honestly laugh at proactiv. The different doctors have basically said ""nothing you put on your face will clear it"" but then why do they prescribe creams and ointments? Why are so many people seemingly helped with proactiv? I have tried the old proactiv before but I have never stuck with it for a long time.
Regular Contributor

Can anyone advise?
Respected Contributor

I have only used the old one. Order a kit here, supposedly you get 60 days (they used to say that). I get it here and like it. Nothing gets rid of acne but it helps and won't have ingredients that cause more flares, so eventually it does help IMO.

Regular Contributor

Thank-you
Super Contributor

nice one . thanks

Respected Contributor

You are welcome, hope it helps.

Respected Contributor

I have used proactive since it came out. I am 53.it keeps my skin clear and it is not drying.Now I only use it once per day but that's because I wash my face at night and do pro active and then apply serum etc in morning. I love it. My niece uses the new one ...she is 14. I used it every day twice a day until I got less oily as I got older.
Respected Contributor

I hated Proactive (the old kit) bleaching out my towels, sheets, and clothes. It worked for me for a while like everything else does and then I think I get immune to it. Stuff just stops working.

I now have used Murad for a few years with the best results. It is expensive, but not as bad on amazon. And each bottle of full sized lasts me 3 to 4 months.

You can get the acne kit of smaller sizes to try for a reasonable price, but they aren't the exact products I would recommend. It's not the exact products I use though.

The 3 products I use are:

Time Release Acne Cleanser-I massage this into my dry face and then rinse.

T-Zone Pore Refining Serum-I use this all over my face

Skin Perfecting Lotion-I use this both AM and PM

They some Sunscreen moisturizers that I use if I'm going to be outside for any length of time, but usually I don't. I use BE foundation and I feel this works good enough since I'm indoors most of the day other than driving a short distance.

Regular Contributor

One word-CLARISONIC. Combined with the Proactiv (original formula, have not tried the new stuff), works amazing! I too am in my 40's and always had a few pimples, and sometimes a jawline cyst or two, until I began using the Clarisonic. I have been using it for about 6 months now and my skin is CLEAR. Good luck!