Esteemed Contributor

Ok, my GF loaned me her LAV & BGT to try before I purchased anything. I have naturally wavy/frizzy, med. length color treated hair. The first left my hair frizzy, the other left my hair feelinig "dry." I figured I was never destined to be a WEN girl and I was frustrated. So, I tried the TSV in December in the seasonals and my hair looked great. Then I got the TSV in MIF and back to "dry" - I'm guessing I can't use the rice formula? However, here is my question, I read about "core" products - should I be using these as well? And, is a first cleanse followed by a seasonal? I'm confused to say the least!! Look forward to your responses - I have already learned so much from your posts - TIA - you gals are the best!

Occasional Contributor

There's a lot of trial and error to find what works best for each person. Of the core formulas I'd suggest you try fig. Your hair sounds similar to mine and I do best with fig. MIF has worked well for me and others are raving about the honey complex in the SHL and SHP for moisture as well. Good luck finding your perfect Wen combination.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, that's a lot to try to answer at one time, but I'll give it my best shot :-)

First, you have an awesome friend to let you borrow her Wen, glad you were able to try it before purchasing on your own. Here's a very basic breakdown of formulas:

Sweet Almond Mint - first one created, wheat based, core CC, considered universal, pretty moisturizing.

Tea Tree - wheat based, core CC, get for finicky scalps, fairly moisturizing, relatively universal

Cucumber Aloe - wheat based, core CC, considered the most astringent

Lavender - wheat based, core CC, great for volume, fine thin hair, can be drying

Fig - wheat based, core CC, most moisturizing, for dry, damaged hair

Pomegranate - soy based, core CC, universal

613 - soy based, considered the most treatment intensive, protein-heavy formula

Bamboo Green Tea - rice based, contains additional amino acids not found in core products, touted as universal, but can be drying for some with continued use

Mandarin Italian Fig - rice based, has additional amino acids, may be more moisturizing than BGT

Seasonal CCs - all soy based, additional amino acids, performance varies based on variety.

Now, to try to answer your questions, everyone has different results, you'll have to figure out what works best for you. If you had great results with the seasonal variety set, then you could always try another seasonal product. If you're interested in the cores, there are a variety of sets available that will allow you to try several formulas.

You can do your cleansing however you want, it's just trial and error to what works best for you. Some people don't do a double cleanse, just one works fine for them.

My experience: my hair is fine in texture, but thick, pretty long (few inches beneath my bra strap). My hair loves TT, SAM, LAV and CA. I can use almost any combination of these and have great hair. My hair does not like the products with the additional amino acids, so I can only use those in moderation. I use BGT occasionally, maybe twice each month. (Will not repurchase once I run out). I love the fragrance of the seasonals, some work better for me than others, but I can only use them once or twice each week. I will not purchase any more 613, again, my hair doesn't like all of the extra protein.

Wen is a great system, I've used it exclusively for over three years and have amazing hair ;-) Some people are lucky and can use any CC and have great results. Others (like me) are a bit different and have a select few (or one or two) that work best for them. My advice is to start with the smaller sizes to determine the best products for you. Best of luck!

Trusted Contributor

One thing I forgot to mention were the Wen kids formula, they are rice based, with no additional protein. I have not tried these, so I can't comment based on experience. Also, keep in mind that you can mix formulas as you cleanse, one formula might not be best for you on it's own, but may work well when mixed with another.

Esteemed Contributor
DoxieMomma - she is the best BFF ever! We've been friends for oer 30 yrs. I am determined to make this work as I do think my hair is looking better. I did mix a pump of 613 with MIF yesterday and it was no different. I might try 613 as a clense as well. I'm trying to get this figured out by the next showing of WEN! But so far the seasonals are working as is the SOB and SHP.
Honored Contributor

I have been using Wen for 4 months so I'm not much help. The only suggestion I have is to use the Product Recommender on Chaz's site. http://chazdean.com/ It recommended POM for me. Out of the cores I have tried so far POM works best for my hair. I also love the seasonals & have been using WWC. I have not tried the LAV but the BGT did leave my hair on the dry side. I did not think I would be able to use the FIG but it works for my hair. SAM is supposed to be good for everyone but I don't like it. It feels really heavy on my hair & hard to rinse.

Honored Contributor

You should be using what works for you. That is all. There is no requirements to use anything but what works. If the seasonals work for you, stick to using them.

Respected Contributor

I have found the new MIF the very best I have ever used, I have dry hair and the moisture I get from it is wow...MIF has a form of honey in it the BGT does not, ..but it didn't seem to work for you..(I use a quarter size of the cleanser as a leave in and the styling cream on soaking wet hair, then pat with a paper towel)...

I love the Seasonal's and the new Spring Honey Lilac is a good one, also this summer the Summer Honey Peach will be back and many just love it also..

I am not good at the Core's as I don't use them...good luck ..

Respected Contributor

riley - I think my hair is similar to yours and I have the same experience with LAV and BGT (haven't used MIF but I don't think I will try it for now, based on all I have read so far). Using too much 613 also doesn't work for me. My hair tends to dry out so I need moisture and my favorites are FIG and SHP (although I can use nearly all of the seasonals). I always mix, so you can also try that once you find the cc's you like best.

Esteemed Contributor
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!