Honored Contributor

does this happen to anyone else?

Ever since meno when I take a shower - even though I do my very best to take as cool a shower as I can stand -as soon as I get out of the shower and for about an hour afterward I am just a sweatball. I have to leave myself an hour before I can even think about putting on any MU. This is NOT a hotflash - I know what a hot flash is , believe me. This is worse, if you can believe it.All I can do is sit here in front of a fan and drink cold water or chew ice to try to cool off.However, I do not really feel hot - I just get all sweaty. DH laughs at my misery saying he is going to start letting me take my bath in a tub of ice cubes. I wish I could go back to my younger days (don't we all) when I could take soothing hot baths with a ton of scented oils. sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: does this happen to anyone else?

I always ran warm from as long as I can remember and then this hit and I was fainting from my own body temp. I tried everything natural and with and without medication. Fianlly, after nothing working to the point of me not feeling faint they have me on three prescriptions and that is working. I will be able to wean off two of them but one I will need to be on for a long time. I don't have to take ice baths, etc. now and I feel much better. Talk to a doctor or doctors until you find someone who can help you combine what works for you. Good Luck. 

Honored Contributor

No, I always feel comfortable after a lukewarm shower.  It's hot showers I hate.

Honored Contributor

I only feel like this if I apply a moisturizer or snscreen to my face after a shower.  So, I usually go without it.

Contributor

You might try showering at night and then taking a "cat wash" to freshen up in the morning.  That way you won't be so sweaty for putting on MU.  It works pretty well for me.  You might also try washing your hair separately from your shower - in the sink in the morning if you shower at night or vice versa.  That will lessen the amount of time you're in the shower and thus maybe your body temperature won't have a chance to rise as much.

Keep trying different things to find what works for you.  

I agree that for some women everything is out of whack - body chemistry and temperature - as a result of meno. 

Best wishes and hang in there!

Honored Contributor

My mother was having "hot flashes" at 90.    I told her she didn't have any hormones left.    Took her to a new doctor...........and he changed her blood pressure medication.    No more "flashes".....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I'm post-meno but DH is the one who sweats after a shower. He walks around naked under the ceiling fan in the bedroom to dry off before he can even get dressed. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No you are not alone.  By the time I get out of the shower, towel off, apply lotions and powders then dry my hair if I washed it, I am a hot sweaty mess.  I have to grab a dry towel and wrap it around me then plop down on the bed with the fan turned on before I can even think about getting dressed.  If I don't wash my hair, it's not quite as bad.  My husband always reminds me to shower early if we have plans.  Then he does the eye roll thing.  That never happened to me before meno.  The sweaty thing never happened before meno the eye roll thing did....often.  Lol. 

ETA:  I don't take hot showers ever.  Even in the dead of winter I take cool to tepid showers.  Maybe taking a shower at night is the trick. 

Honored Contributor

No, I can't say that it does.  The only time it has happened it was when I have had the water on too hot.  I love the feeling of very warm water, but if it is too warm, or hot, it instantly makes me sick, sweaty and I feel like I am going to be sick.

Before we got air conditioning, I remember trying to take a bath, etc. and trying to do my hair, OMG, I would be all hot and miserable and sick feeling after I would be done!  I would feel worse after I did my shower, etc., than before!!!! 

And for the record --- it is way worse when you actually are getting hot flashes!  Whew!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

@Fressa  I suffer from the fainting thing also. What is it? Is it an actual condition?