Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee   It's been a while since we discussed our splitting fingernails.  I've had mine for 10-15 yrs and for now it seems to have healed.  A few months ago I was gardening and something sharp stuck under my splitting thumbnail.  Couldn't see anything but it hurt so I sprayed peroxide and put neosporin around nail.  I filed nail down as far as I could and continued to treat it with peroxide &. neosporin for about 2 weeks as it was still hurting.  End of 2 wks it stopped hurting and I realized the split wasn't there even though the nail had grown out a bit.  What do you think?  Makes no sense to me but I'm  happy about it.

Honored Contributor

@2penny wrote:

@SilleeMee   It's been a while since we discussed our splitting fingernails.  I've had mine for 10-15 yrs and for now it seems to have healed.  A few months ago I was gardening and something sharp stuck under my splitting thumbnail.  Couldn't see anything but it hurt so I sprayed peroxide and put neosporin around nail.  I filed nail down as far as I could and continued to treat it with peroxide &. neosporin for about 2 weeks as it was still hurting.  End of 2 wks it stopped hurting and I realized the split wasn't there even though the nail had grown out a bit.  What do you think?  Makes no sense to me but I'm  happy about it.

@2penny 

That's great that your split nail is gone now. I really have no idea why it turned out that way but YAY! Maybe the injury caused the nail bed to 'mend' itself...?

Regular Contributor

I didn't think about that.  I was wondering if peroxide and Neosporin could have done something.  You would know about that.  Could split be related to an infection?

Honored Contributor

@2penny wrote:

I didn't think about that.  I was wondering if peroxide and Neosporin could have done something.  You would know about that.  Could split be related to an infection?

@2penny 

It could be associated with a nail infection but the only way to know for sure is with a visit to you doctor where they can take a sample. But since it's gone now, no need to do that.

Regular Contributor

Just curious since I had it for so long but definitely not going to Dr.  Did you find something that worked for yours?

Honored Contributor

@2penny wrote:

Just curious since I had it for so long but definitely not going to Dr.  Did you find something that worked for yours?

@2penny 

No, not really. The split nail I have is from an injury I got a long time ago. I just live with it. It's my thumb nail and it grows thick and lopsided so I just file it down and put polish on it. It's a pita.

Regular Contributor

I couldn't even wear polish as it seemed to dry nail out and make split worse.  

Thanks for replying!