Super Contributor

advice for eyeshadow over 65

Can anyone advise me on a good look for eyes over 65? I am wondering if an eyeshadow with sllight shimmer is a good look. not glitter, but a fine shimmer. I was at the Chanel counter and there are pretty much no mattes. I did buy a matte palette at Ulta and it was pretty disappointing. I believe it was twofaced. 

I have white hair, green eyes and a fair complexion, no wrinkles, my skin care is good.

I realize there is no absolute right or wrong, just looking for suggestions for a good eyeshadow/company that you would recommend.

oh, also have It cosmetics naturally pretty, which I keep in a drawer and is so dirty looking- that pink suede case, terrible. I rate the eyeshadows ok. 

I am looking at the Butter London shadow clutch palette, very pretty but has shimmers.

Respected Contributor

Re: advice for eyeshadow over 65

I am in my 60's also - just got the Tarte "Make them Stare" eyeshadow sticks this week in the mail - the only one that is shiny is the cream for under the brow.  There is a taupe stick in there that is just perfect - goes on matte and stays all day.  Love Tarte and love these sticks.  I've gotten Tarte glittersticks before and they are just too glittery.  There is a purple, green, taupe, cream and brown (which I put in my crease above the taupe). 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm interested in other people's opinions re: your inquiry.  My opinion - over 60 NO glimmer - shimmer - sparkles.  A darker mat eyeshadow only.  Gray - brown family.  Perhaps a little shimmer for evenings if you have a date or date night with hubby.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just curious.  I've never seen the Tarte Make Them Stars set anywhere. Can you tell us where you got this  set, please? Soumds nice and the colors are the ones I love.

I do have to agree that I don't care for shimmer in my shadows, which I use only infrequently and very sparingly.  Somehow it doesn't work for me at my age.

Honored Contributor

My personal opinion is that shiny MU looks ridiculous on a senior woman. Do as ytou please but that is my take on it.

Honored Contributor

"Matte" looks like DIRT on me..........I always wear a satin or pearl finish

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

i am anxiously awaiting some good pointers coming out of this thread!  i have fooled around with just about every imaginable kind of shadow and have finally just given up.  i don't think that i look good in ANY of them.  so now i just use the shadow that i liked the best as a liner.   if i could find a neutral shadow that looked decent on me, i would give it a go.  maybe one of you will entice me with something . . . 

Honored Contributor

There was a thread on this subject about a month ago.

Try using your  "blush" as a shadow.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Just curious.  I've never seen the Tarte Make Them Stars set anywhere. Can you tell us where you got this  set, please? Soumds nice and the colors are the ones I love.

I do have to agree that I don't care for shimmer in my shadows, which I use only infrequently and very sparingly.  Somehow it doesn't work for me at my age.

@PerkupIt was on the Q - it sold out pretty quickly, but hopefully they will bring it back.  The taupe stick is worth the price of the kit. 

Honored Contributor

I never would have thought this, but a pale pale pink or blush or peach color lightens the eyes, esp. the darkness that may come.I wouldn't have thought of using these colors before but they are pretty and subtle. I also use this to bring out the lid (that may not show up as well for those of us with no fantastic plastic surgeons! )Then , if there is a large amount of "hooded" area that sort of sticks out, I use a deeper brown color. Then, right under the brow, I use almost a white or light bone type color to bring the eye up and lighten. Also a little of this lightener under the bottom lid but just the outside corner, and maybe a little on the corner end of the top lid (on the outside.)

I don't like shimmer  but if its a holiday or just some outrageously fun occasion, well you can never have to much glitter or sparkle but those light dustings are the prettiest I think. Though I would use it just for fun. I love seeing it on my daughter when we go out.

Anyway, this all may not be clear, but the point is to highlight the areas that have receded and you want to emphasize and darken the areas that stick out (like the hooded part) and that you don't want to! 

And blend with a lovely brush so it doesn't look like you did a paint by numbersSmiley Happy

And its fun to experiment when you don't have to go out. The new concept of contour makeup (though not new to makeup artists and celebrities) can do amazing things. It is doing kind of what I described but to your entire face.

Have a great time finding what looks best!

Whats that song, "I'm so lucky to be a woman"! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"