Regular Contributor

Re: Will a salon keratin treatment help the condition of hair?

Just yesterday as I was checking in at my salon. a young couple was checking out. I was close enough to hear the conversation that they both had a keratin treatment and their bill was $900. Apparently they had not asked the cost before the treatment. After I sat down in the waiting area, I noticed the young man making phone calls and then saw him hand the phone to the receptionist. I guess they found someone to pay their bill!

Honored Contributor

On 8/15/2014 Katrinka23 said:

Just yesterday as I was checking in at my salon. a young couple was checking out. I was close enough to hear the conversation that they both had a keratin treatment and their bill was $900. Apparently they had not asked the cost before the treatment. After I sat down in the waiting area, I noticed the young man making phone calls and then saw him hand the phone to the receptionist. I guess they found someone to pay their bill!

Wow that is crazy I wonder if there was anything else done, I have shoulder length hair and live in up scale Westchester County NY and its never cost me more than $300, $375 if I have my color done on the same day

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

To Usedtobeoxox - I asked my hairdresser about the cost and he said it was $450 per treatment so that explains the $900. This salon is in downtown Pittsburgh.

Super Contributor

On 8/14/2014 endlesssummer said:

Thanks for the responses!! Of course still confused. So many conflicting experiences - like opposite experiences. hate that! it makes it so hard to decide what to do.

For those who had hair that didn't react well to this treatment - first - did you have the full treatment? or a half treatment? (meaning left on at the salon for half the usual time). Second - when you say hair breakage.... do you mean alot of split ends? or? Third .... what did you do afterwards to try to heal your hair and was it effective?

For those who loved it - what shampoos/conditioners did you use afterwards that you loved to maintain your smooth, hopefully shiney results?

Also, probably should post in wen, but which wens are recommended for very dry hair? (and which of the products are usually helpful to add in, in addition to the "shampoo"?)

Hello! I am assuming they did a full treatment on my hair. I wasn't aware you could only do a half treatment and get results (meaning half the time). My hair just looked fried and terrible afterwards and yes, I had lots of breakage. This when I started using Wen. It was the only thing that would let me get a comb through my hair. If you have dry hair, Fig is probably the best formula to start with--you can add on from there. I'd suggest getting the styling cream and remoist treatment as well. I know there is going to be a Wen TSV at the end of the month.

Valued Contributor

On 8/15/2014 FLsunlover said:
On 8/14/2014 endlesssummer said:

Thanks for the responses!! Of course still confused. So many conflicting experiences - like opposite experiences. hate that! it makes it so hard to decide what to do.

For those who had hair that didn't react well to this treatment - first - did you have the full treatment? or a half treatment? (meaning left on at the salon for half the usual time). Second - when you say hair breakage.... do you mean alot of split ends? or? Third .... what did you do afterwards to try to heal your hair and was it effective?

For those who loved it - what shampoos/conditioners did you use afterwards that you loved to maintain your smooth, hopefully shiney results?

Also, probably should post in wen, but which wens are recommended for very dry hair? (and which of the products are usually helpful to add in, in addition to the "shampoo"?)

Hello! I am assuming they did a full treatment on my hair. I wasn't aware you could only do a half treatment and get results (meaning half the time). My hair just looked fried and terrible afterwards and yes, I had lots of breakage. This when I started using Wen. It was the only thing that would let me get a comb through my hair. If you have dry hair, Fig is probably the best formula to start with--you can add on from there. I'd suggest getting the styling cream and remoist treatment as well. I know there is going to be a Wen TSV at the end of the month.

I agree. The TSV will be $60 and include four products that are great to treat damaged hair.
Formally NewtoWen
Super Contributor

I have had professional Keratin treatments for five years. Although I do not like to have to wait three days to shampoo after the treatment, the results are definitely worth the inconvenience.

My hair is shiny and smooth. I use the Keratin shampoo and conditioner to maintain the look. I need the treatment two times a year.

I understand that it is confusing to read the responses. It is a big step, but, I would suggest you inquire at your salon to get information which is pertinent to your hair.

Best of luck to you.

Frequent Contributor

Try some L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture from Sally Beauty. It is only $14.49 for a 16 oz tub. It works wonders and is better than any high end brands I have tried. There is another one called Loreal Nature's Therapy Mega Strength. I haven't tried that one but I'm sure it would be good too. I think the stylist told you to only leave it on half of the time because it is damaging. It would be better to strengthen and moisturize your hair and baby it for awhile. Just my opinion. Good luck!!