Regular Contributor
@Bettyanne.... so many questions to ask you to help you, but seriously, finding the right wig(s) is very, very personal.

Going to the wig shop is a very good idea, but keep in mind, you don't have to buy a wig on your first visit. I did not have a good experience at my local wig shop. The owner was very nice, but she was helping way too many customers at once to really help any one of us. It's good to try on wigs and get a feel for them. Take selfies in the ones you like and decide on them in the comfort of your own home. (If you live near Dallas, I would go to Mimi's. They have a YouTube channel too)

YouTube is a great place to learn more about wigs, wig colors, styles, styling, cutting, caring for, cap construction, fit (most people have an Average size head but you should measure to be sure).

Some online retailers will send you swatch samples so you can get the right color. Make sure you can return or exchange.

The Wig Company (TWC) will accept a picture and info and help match you. They ship from Lenexa, KS so if you live in the middle of the country like me, you get your order fast!

I have my 16th wig ordered and on its way to me. I search for nice basic, inexpensive wigs, reasonably-priced wigs, sale-priced and clearance wigs. I have paid anywhere from $25 to $300. I absolutely love many that have been under $100! I have learned to customize them myself. I cut bangs, trim layers, etc. I don't need any of the more expensive features because I have always worn bangs and you never saw my part line because of my style, so I get basic caps.

Synthetic wigs keep their style so you put on your wig and go. Even after washing the style remains. Even after getting rained on.

Human hair will be considerably more expensive and you will need to style it after washing. It will get wet in rain, etc. just like our own hair.
A wig grip (velvet band with velcro closure) is great to help keep wigs on and in place.

Heat defiant or heat-friendly fibers are synthetic that can be stored with curling irons, flat irons, etc. If you curl them, one you release the hair from the curling iron, you need to hold the curl in place and let it cool there to retain it. The need maintenance with heat to keep the fibers looking good (I've heard).

Good luck. I hope you find great ones for you. It's definitely worth it. Definitely.
Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
Regular Contributor
(Sorry for the errors... on mobile and don't see a way to edit.)
Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
Regular Contributor

@TasMss 

Thanks for the advice.... all good stuff.. 

I was so depressed about ny haiir but now i think i am going to make an adventure out of !!  Maybe even try some new colors...i love the idea of having many !

Regular Contributor

@MW in Iowa Thanks  so much....i am starting to do some investigation!

Respected Contributor

@Bettyanne 

I hear ya.  I've been a blonde with baby fine, thin hair, all my life.  So with age, I dont have any hair to spare, what so ever!.

For the longest while I wore an updo with hairpiece.  I just "plopped the hair piece on. Took less than 5 minutes.

But then my usual hair piece was that had been offered, after years, was too shiny.  Looked very not real.

I didnt care for long wigs, cause they get all tangled up on the back side of the neck. Just about impossible to untangle.

I agree with ALL others above. Everything said.

Id had good luck with Paula Young wigs for awhile, way back when. 

I've been saving names of other wig places as they pop up.  If you want that list, I'll publish it for ya, altho I havent bought any wigs from these other places.   Just say the word.

Good luck. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I've had really good experiences with cysterwigs.com. They are very personable and will work with you to select the right wig. Prices are reasonable too. If you don't like the wig and want to exchange it, shipping is free. 
Heather, the owner has videos of almost every wig they have in multiple colors. It's great viewing. 

Regular Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn 

If you can   and it's not too much trouble...that would be wonderfuL!