Trusted Contributor

Re: Why is drugstore makeup packaging so ugly?

@Squirrel Lover  I'd rather my money go towards what is IN the product rather than what the product is IN.  Like someone said, the product goes in my cosmetic bag or drawer.  I'm not looking for "pretty" packaging, I'm looking for what's in the packaging to make "me" pretty.  IF the two items are at the same price point and same ingredients then I would consider the presentation.  But makeup is meant to be used.  Unless I'm buying it to lay around on my bathroom counter, I'm buying it to do a job.  I don't need the packaging to cover the ingredients, I need the ingredients to cover me.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

It helps to keep cost down.  Why would anyone care about the packaging?  It gets thrown away.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think some of you are misunderstanding what the OP meant by packaging.  I think she means the component the products are in, not the packaging you take the products out of and toss in the trash.   I don't think the packaging on all of the drugstore products is ugly.  Some of it is yes but not all of it.  The only product I carry in my purse is lipstick so I don't really care what any of it looks like.  And if I do need to reapply lipstick, I rarely do it at a table or in front of people.  I generally go to the restroom.  

I do think some of the packaging is incredibly cheap though.  Wet N Wild is probably the worst.  Everything I own from them ends up broken with the exception of the Photofocus Foundation.   Although I've had high end packaging break on me too.

I think some of L'Oreal's packaging is really pretty, especially their lip products.  I don't find anythng wrong with NYX packaging either.  Some of ColourPop's packaging is gorgeous but some of it is more juvenile.  But then, I purchased an eyeshadow palette from them only because I loved the packaging.  LOL  

I personally love the smell of the Physician's Formula butter bronzer.  And I think that bronzer is an excellant bronzer.  But I do think the packaging is is bulky and ridiculous.  

I think there is a lot of ugly high end packaging too.  

Respected Contributor

Why is drugstore makeup packaging so ugly?

The packaging that the product is in when purchased gets tossed, so I really don't care about that.

The packaging that actually houses the product for its lifetime is what sometimes bothers me. The caps crack, hinges break and clasps snap off, Usually leaving me to use a piece of tape or a rubber band to put it back together! 

It is really too bad, I have quit purchasing some really nice products because of how poorly the packaging lasts. If you buy a new one when a cover breaks you are eventually paying luxury pricing anyway!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

The looks of the packaging or container of a product has zero impact on me.  I wouldn't desribe anything as "ugly".  Maybe more plain looking, but not ugly.

Trusted Contributor

Not all drug store brands have ugly packaging.  But let's be honest, if a company wants to keep the price low, less expensive packaging is a way to do it.  I imagine pretty boxes that most high end products come in are more expensive than, for example, a cardboard with a plastic bubble glued on is.  

Trusted Contributor

This is the OP.  Just to clarify. Yes, I think the blister packs with lots of words and graphics on them are unattractive to my eye. But I was also talking about the actual containers that most drugstore products are made out of. I enjoy the whole sensory experience of putting on makeup and skincare. I think it would make buying drugstore makeup and skincare more luxurious if the packaging was just made with more class and thought.

This is only my opinion folks. I am not condemning drugstore beauty products. In fact, I wish I could advise them on how to make them more appealing.

Honored Contributor

The plainer packaging keeps costs down. Much of the premium of more prestigious cosmetics goes toward making it look prestigious, IMO.  I know I've purchased a palette just because I fell in love with the compact but generally I go for the suitability for my skin and coloring now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

This is the OP.  Just to clarify. Yes, I think the blister packs with lots of words and graphics on them are unattractive to my eye. But I was also talking about the actual containers that most drugstore products are made out of. I enjoy the whole sensory experience of putting on makeup and skincare. I think it would make buying drugstore makeup and skincare more luxurious if the packaging was just made with more class and thought.

This is only my opinion folks. I am not condemning drugstore beauty products. In fact, I wish I could advise them on how to make them more appealing.

@Squirrel Lover 

I understand your comments, but I seriously doubt anyone who purchases moderately priced cosmetics in a drug store cares about how "luxurious" it is.

I also have a few high end products in my current stash, but if I thought the containers cost me an extra $5 just to look pretty, I'd be mad.  The contents of the packaging is the most important thing, isn't it?

The comments in this thread sort of reminds me of when some facial tissue company bragged about their "designer boxes" in their commercials.  Designer boxes of kleenex?  Seriously?   LOL

Respected Contributor

I only care about makeup "packaging" inasmuch as it may or may not affect the delivery of the product.

What worries you masters you.